Discuss Water heater thermostat ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
Goooday all...

How do you test a water heater stat is doing its job or the correct way of testing it. My hot water would take your skin off for ages but as the cupboard is getting cleared out/ cleaned up thought I'd sort it.

heres what I'd say but could be easier or safer way of doing it. Use a clamp meter on the line and change the stat setting at same time to see if switching ..

Also is there a we black button which is automatic re setting and can these stick or weld shut.... I just don't know as never had to replace or repair one..

I find that some stats can weld shut and it sounds like you have that problem so as they are cheap just change it. Best thing to do is set it for 55-60oC and take it from there ie too hot turn it down

To test it safely switch off circuit break and isolation switch take the heater cover off get you multimeter set it for ohms then measure across the L&N terminals and you should measure 18-19 ohms if the stat is calling for heat.

When I get called out thats how I tend to do it and when I replace the thermstat the last thing I do before replacing the cover is to measure the current and get around 11.5-12.5 amps jobs a good one

If it's just a simple temperature switch, take it out and stick it in a pan of water with a thermometer and start heating it up.
As oldtimer says, use your ohmmeter it see when it switches.
Can you adjust it? If so, you can then set it to exactly the temp you want.

Aye k instead of taking megger from car I grabbed a voltage pen and turned hot water on , test for voltage on out going from stat then turn stat to 10 degrees and it ain't cutting off at stat. So faulty.

Reply to Water heater thermostat ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock