Discuss Water heating question. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Scobo

We have a gas boiler and I've always been lead to believe that when we have the heating on we won't use any more gas if we use the boiler to heat the water at the same time.
Is this correct or would we be better using the immersion during peak PV production times even if the heating's on as were doing at present ?

heating a fairly standard 120l tank of water from cold takes around 7kWh of heat, so heating that water will use 7kWh.

The point that I think would have been being made originally with that sort of statement refers to the systems where the hot water circuit was effectively always on while the heating system was on. In this case, once the tank is up to temperature it's not going to be extracting any additional heat from the system, so the statement is essentially correct at that point, other than pipe losses, which the old argument went weren't an issue as the heat still went into the house anyway.... nowadays many would question the real usefulness of heat from pipework being dumped into the void between floor and ceiling, but there's still a reasonable degree of logic to it.

It is true though that water heating from gas is much more efficient in winter when the boiler is already operating, the pipework is warm and the boilers not cycling etc vs using it in summer where pipework losses are significant as that extra lost heat isn't useful heat, the boiler will often be cycling, and it's got to heat all the fluid in the pipework each time it cycles.

Immersun etc work the most in summer when there's no argument at all about the heat replacement, and in winter could be viewed more as being used to keep the hot water cylinder at temperature between boiler cycles to prevent the boiler switching on and off just to warm the cylinder by a few degrees every hour or 2 (depending on the control settings for the boiler).

We have a gas boiler and I've always been lead to believe that when we have the heating on we won't use any more gas if we use the boiler to heat the water at the same time.
Rather depends on which set up you have, but generally yes. Heat from the central heating is also used to heat the water in the tank. So long as the boiler shuts off when the heating thermostat has been satisfied then thats about right, you wont use any more gas.
But come the summer months your heating wont be on (well it might be in Fife) but do you use the gas to heat the water?

We were using the boiler before we got PV but have been using the immersion since the spring and have had the boiler turned off until now.

Agree with above!

Of course you use more gas to heat a tank of water. If the water wasn't being heated that gas would be used on either heating your home, or not at all if heating wasn't required.

Gas is obviously cheaper than electricity which I can only presume is the logic behind the statement.?

Although your boiler circulates heating water which can be used to heat your hot water or radiators, they are circulated independently depending on demand.

Reply to Water heating question. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net