Discuss Waterproof lamp holder in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

R791345

I have bought this lamp holder on Ebay
6A 250V E27 Screw PVC Ceramic Waterproof Lamp Holder Precise Bulb Light Socket | eBay - http://ebay.eu/2dsiNTZ

It has short tails and no obvious way to connect a power cable to the tails. Inside the pnik tail covers are single cables wired to the lamp holder. I assume that I can not draw a cable through the tail covers and so propose to strip back a bit of the tail and solder on the end of the power cable and then seal it with shrink sleeving. Is there a more appropriate way to connect the power cable? I want to keep the connection waterproof.

Adaptable box with a stuffing gland that will accept 2 x single wires such as - Wiska TKF/P32 Sprint Plastic Round Cable Gland IP68 LSF 32mm - http://m.builderdepot.co.uk/wiska-tkf-p32-sprint-plastic-round-cable-gland-ip68-lsf-32mm.html?gclid=CIusiKnrqM8CFdQ_Gwody5cFSw
then a solder and heat shrink for your connection to power. Use an IP rated box to make the connection in and you have your protection. Search for better examples of the gland as you'll get 2 holed rubber glands and a much smaller item.

What are you actually trying to achieve? There's almost certainly a better way than using these E27 lampholders.
I have also ordered a terrarium heating bulb for the lampholder.
I have a portable cooler box which I need to heat at different temperatures as part of the process of producing fermented soy beans. To get it to happen I need to control both temperature and humidity over a 24h period, and I have bought the various arduino addons to control for them.
The heater is to hang facing down from the lid of the cooler box to the beans in an open plastic box below. The lampholder needs to be able to operate in humidity of 84-90% for the first 6 hours after that the humidity is gradually brought down to 55%. I have put a computer fan into the lid. I specifically wanted a heater that did not give off light, which is what I have bought. Thank you for your added interest, I hope you can give me further guidance.

Hmm. An unusual application. What's the wattage of the heating bulb and how far above the plastic box is it?
I ordered a 100w heating bulb because it would produce heat quicker than a lower wattage, but I do note expect that to be a problem because I will switch the bulb on and off according to the temperature needed for the fermentation. I have a sensor that reports on both humidity and temperature and the heat will be controlled through the arduino. I do not know the size of the bulb as I have not yet received it, but the internal height of the box is about 32cm and the container for the soy beans is about 9cm high. Incidentally I have also bought a small fogger to give the required humidity (I hope)

OK, thanks. Do let us know how it works out.

Think I'd have gone for bottom heating with some sort of heat mat rather than radiant heat from the top.
I have tried a heated mat in the past but the bigger ones do not fit into the cooler box and the small ones are low wattages and slow to respond.

I am by no means certain that my latest iteration will succeed, but thank you for your helpful comments. I await the lamp and then the heat will be on.

Reply to Waterproof lamp holder in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net