Discuss Waterproof multifunctional testers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Heeshny

Does anyone know if there are any out there?

problem: we work in adverse weather conditions carrying out insulation resistance and continuity testing on cables, with the poor weather this has been causing some big problems with our testing equipment.
currently using FLUKE 1653 testers but they are just not cutting it. 2 have already been sent for recalibration through water ingress.

can you get waterproof cases for these meters?
Is there a better type that someone could recommend?
We have pop up tents for the locations but when your going to maybe 15-20 different sites a night and have a small window to complete the work a waterproof bit of equipment would be far more practice.

thanks for taking the time to read this and hope someone can offer some advice on where to look.

You could try intrinsically safe test equipment which is Ex rated but you're going to pay through the nose for it. I have a couple of testers I use for marine work that I 'tropicalised' myself using the conformal coating spray we use on motors but this was more to prevent internal corrosion caused by salt water spray than waterproofing as such.

There are some issues with what you're asking though, how can you ensure the accuracy of the tests if everything is drenched with water? Also any live tests would be dangerous in such a wet environment and IR test results would be meaningless. I'd suggest you need to look at treating the actual cause (protect the area better from the rain) rather than the symptoms (trying to waterproof testers)

Last edited:
Apologies, let me be more specific. The cables we are testing are in enclosed cubicles. Spaced out over miles of the rail infrastructure. It is basically a very long radial circuit. Our testing consist of leg to leg testing. The connections are not exposed to poor weather, the tests are carried out safely.
The issue is the repetitive procedure of removing the meter from its holder. Setting it up, carrying out the test, loading it away moving to next location. we also have procedures in place with small pop up tents protecting the area from the weather, it does not however protect the meter adequately enough,

root cause is its Scotland and our weather sucks!

For this specific project we are extremely limited to time to test hence the requirement for something more robust.
Thanks and I will look in to Ex equipment.

Megger series with IP54 looks like a better replacement without going in to the big££££ of EX gear.... That and a peli case! Thanks for all your feedback on this

Good idea. Ex equipment is crazily priced, and for bloody good reason.

Although due to the stringent nature of regulating explosive zones, I'm not sure an Ex MFT exists that is suitable due to the danger of arcing when testing (think insulation resistance testing). I may be wrong though...

Maybe try keeping a cloth bag with half a kilo of rice in it at the bottom of the case and replace the rice regularly. You can use silica desiccant as well if you've got the patience to track down a supplier. From experience the problem with waterproof cases is when something wet gets put in one, it never dries out and you get condensation in the case.

Last edited:
problem: we work in adverse weather conditions carrying out insulation resistance and continuity testing on cables, with the poor weather this has been causing some big problems with our testing equipment.

If you're only testing IR and continuity, how about one of the Megger MIT400 series. They're IP54 and probably easier to handle than a full MFT. I was thinking of getting one myself for fault finding:
Megger MIT400 Analog/Digital Insulation and Continuity Tester

(The pic on the page is of one of the models higher up the range.)

Interesting you posted that as we have been looking at purchasing a couple of these for a separate project! Fluke multifunctional testers just don't seem to cut it in the world I work in.

Reply to Waterproof multifunctional testers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock