Discuss Ways For Water Tank Level Indicator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We have a water tank 10,000l litters ,about 2,50 meter height.
We need to have a multi-level indicator about 50 meter from there.We already have a Cat-6 cable from the Tank to the area.

We are looking a smart way for reading the level in the Tank.We saw the ultrasound system but is cost prohibitive.
Other idea was for 5 common float switches but do not think it will be practical or accurate.
And last idea to use 5 stainless points in different heights in the water to measure the resistance of the water and give us an indication by 5 led diodes in the house.
Maybe someone have experience with these, and can give us advise for a practical and somewhat reliable system ?

Ways For Water Tank Level Indicator tank - EletriciansForums.net

Bilge pump sensors set at different levels.

Bought one ages ago, not expensive, can't for the life of me find where I got it from or it's full name.

Still looking...

@ruston saw videos on utube and these are not reliable especially if there are objects between receiver and transmitter.The ones that worth it price was too high.Did you use them before with success ?

@GBDamo
Never saw these before.Much better for some cases than the common float switches.Still the price is quite steep for 5

@ruston saw videos on utube and these are not reliable especially if there are objects between receiver and transmitter.The ones that worth it price was too high.Did you use them before with success ?

@GBDamo
Never saw these before.Much better for some cases than the common float switches.Still the price is quite steep for 5

Not personally , but have a friend who uses a similar type with satisfactory results for oil fuel. The one I posted was the first one that came up on google as an example . Contact a tank supplier for more options. My tank has a simple clear tube on the exterior that is operated by gravity by pulling a valve at the bottom of the tube and equalises the level in the tube and tank . Similar to this.
Tankmaster Oil Tank Level Gauge - 5' - 13076 | BES.co.uk - https://www.bes.co.uk/tankmaster-oil-tank-level-gauge-5-13076?ref=gs&photo=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgqmqhIWr4gIVZrvtCh2ZpQs4EAQYAiABEgLhNfD_BwE

This came up on the same page .Apollo Ultrasonic Level Gauge For Oil Tanks | Tank Services - https://www.tankservices.co.uk/product/oil-tanks/apollo-ultrasonic-level-gauge-for-oil-tanks/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgqmqhIWr4gIVZrvtCh2ZpQs4EAQYASABEgKN-PD_BwE
Contact an oil supply , or tank company , I am sure they will be able to help you.

Pressure sensor sat at the bottom of the tank, 1 bar is 1m head.

Having it smart is why it is cost prohibitive. Just use a standard 4 - 20mA probe, if you need it smart, feed this signal into a Siemens logo or similar, an buy a cellular attachment, this can email or sms you updates at specific trigger points, low level, high level etc.. Hardware would be around 1200.

If it doesn't need to be smart, an you just need a display in a room somewhere, a standard 4-20mA panel display will cost <150 and the probe around 600.

A system used on boats alot (they have lots of tanks of water and fuel) is pressure based... you have a small pipe that runs from the lid to the bottom of the tank, the bottom end open. You then measure the maximum air pressure you can get in the tube by pumping air into it... the deeper the water, the higher the pressure. Air pressure needs calibrating to water lever, but simple to do... on boats I've seen a system with a small hand pump that's actuated by a push/pull type knob with a gauge alongside it. No electronics, it's simple and it works !

If it's cheap you want,and are prepared to do a bit of DIY,there are a number of mini float switches,of the type used for cellar sump-pump alarms. You could rig any number of these,on a mike-stand,and have the leads glanded to an exterior junction box,to your cat6.

Is the water potable?

Old school way,would be small hole in the top,weighted float,2.5m rod,with dayglo ball on end...check from kitchen window,in morning.

Hi-tech upgrade? use binoculars,from bedroom window ;)

Pressure sensor sat at the bottom of the tank, 1 bar is 1m head

Crikey that's what I call heavy water! 0.1 bar surely. Well, 0.098 or so depending on temp.

@spinlondon It will be too crude.I found these Ways For Water Tank Level Indicator blog-float-switch-horizontal-type - EletriciansForums.net
that can work that way but still to much mechanical movement involved.
Like @Rob said above a good solution is a pressure sensor transducer.It seems the most logical. I found this, Ways For Water Tank Level Indicator s-l1600 - EletriciansForums.net which is not cost prohibitive.
I found a second solution like you say but it works with the resistance of the water.Ways For Water Tank Level Indicator s-l1600 (1) - EletriciansForums.net and is just 40pounds.

Reply to Ways For Water Tank Level Indicator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock