Discuss Electrical PLC Control Panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have a Electrical PLC Control Panel that has to supply 45 Fused Spur units, do I need to protect these with an RCD, we have a 10A Type D MCB at the moment.
Each Fused spur controls an electronic Volume/Pressure controller which is rated at 130mA.

45 seems an awful lot of points for a circuit, no matter what load.
Why the D type?
Regarding RCD, what's the environment and wiring system, for starters?

45 seems an awful lot of points for a circuit, no matter what load.
Why the D type?
Regarding RCD, what's the environment and wiring system, for starters?
Its an Industrial system, we control Air Flow into Laboratories and we have Electronic controls, each unit is supplied by 230v AC via a Fused Spur.
But I need to put some sort of MCB into my panel, and need to know purely if it should be via an RCD or just a standard MCB.
Once these are switched on then they wont be switched off except for maintenance.
The Type D is purely for inrush, although they are very low current each (130mA) it could be a type B or C

What's the installation method?

Whether an RCD is needed will depend on the type of wiring installed. If the unit itself might be fed from an unprotected supply it would be sensible to have the option of an RCD, although in situations where it is not needed, possibly better omitted.

How many circuits would these 45 points be divided amongst? Surely not all 45 on one MCB? How long might the circuit cables be in a typical installation?

Whether an RCD is needed will depend on the type of wiring installed. If the unit itself might be fed from an unprotected supply it would be sensible to have the option of an RCD, although in situations where it is not needed, possibly better omitted.
My thoughts exactly. Plus, if all these outlets are powering micro-electronics then I'd be suggesting a 100mA B type RCD - hence, split the circuits down regardless and have them spread over 30mA B's

How many circuits would these 45 points be divided amongst? Surely not all 45 on one MCB? How long might the circuit cables be in a typical installation?
My thoughts too, basically as questioned in #2 and #6.

The way I would install the system, RCD protection would be a no.....but it's all dependent, as said.

With 45 airflow control points, how many fans are involved, etc?
Is it some sort of monitoring/control for an existing air extract system?

Reply to Electrical PLC Control Panel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net