Discuss Web developer introduction in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Ben Upton

Hi everybody,

I've just joined the forum, and posted in the new member introductions but thought I should also post here where it's more relevant.

I'm a full-time web developer looking to eventually branch out on my own. I have relatives in the industry and an interest myself, so helping electricians with their websites/online marketing is hopefully a good fit for me.

I'm not offering any services at this point, but I'd love to offer any free advice I can if anyone has any website based questions. Hoping to learn what I can from the community here too.

Thanks and look forward to helping where I can!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forums!

I don't have a website myself, but I have been thinking about it (aka getting confused about it). As someone who has no knowledge about the process, one thing that confuses me is when you purchase a domain name - it doesn't give you the webpage/ hosting.

Another thing that confuses me is when you pay for these things.. where does the money go? Like who actually owns the internet?? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself lol

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, a website is actually a few components that bolt together:
  1. The domain name that you’ve purchased is just that really, a name that connects visitors to the website.
  2. The hosting is where the website lives - i.e. another big computer(s) living out there in the world somewhere that your customers can access by using the domain name.
  3. Then there’s the website itself, i.e. the set of code files that creates your information pages, contact forms, portfolio, etc.
Some services do roll all this up into one - like wix, or godaddy - but they have their own foibles and frustrations. Good web designers will sort all this out for you too if you’re not keen.

In terms of the money, it is three different pots:
  1. The domain registrars take the money for registering your domain name, which is coordinated by a central governing body (ICANN).
  2. Hosting providers take money to, in effect, lease you their computers as a place to park your website - they often offer more than just this though like security and performance monitoring.
  3. The web designer takes the money to design and build your website - and often offer a lot more services like generating leads, improving the search engine ranking of your site, etc.
The “who owns the internet” question is a big one - but luckily it isn’t just one party! For more information, the howstuffworks website has quite a good article on it.

Anyway, that’s probably an overly wordy and geeky answer to your question but I hope it helped! :)

Ben

Ben, thanks for that - very informative! From what you have said I'm assuming that once I have purchased a domain name, I never have to pay again for the domain - effectively I can purchase a name and keep it dormant for x amount of time until I decide to get a website designed and hosted?

You have to renew the domain every few years. A .co.uk is normally every 2 years. A .com etc can be renewed for up to 10 years. If you don't renew the domain is put 'on hold' for a short period and then re-released so that it can be registered by anyone else that may want it.

Reply to Web developer introduction in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net