Discuss Websites in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

acat

Hi All

Having a think about how we can make our websites work for us so what I am proposing is anyone who has a website or indeed wants one to contact me. I am thinking along the lines of adding links to each other which wont help if you are in Southend on Sea and I am in Ceredigion so we wont be competing with each other, but because we will all have a links page with each others details on it our ranking for our own websites will be a lot better and make us easy to find.

Secondly I would like those who know about websites to post your hints and tips for anyone thinking of a website to give them guidance. By that I mean how to go about doing it yourself and software used mainly free like web ceo.

Anyone who is interested please make contact with me or add to this post with any suggestions as to how you would like it organsied and sorted I have my own ideas but would like as much input as possible.

Website buidling promotion etc has always been a bit of a hobby for me

Thanks

Chris

I'm thinking about setting up a website also for my partnership.We don't have much funds at the moment.I'm not up with the I.T revolution so don't have a clue how i would go about getting one setup.

If you could point me in the right direction to get started off,i'm sure what your saying will be beneficial to us all.

i used one and one for the name of the website, seemed far cheaper than the rest, i also had some free hosting with my isp. cost me about twenty quid for the .co.uk and .com of the same address for two years.

Cheers Phil, might as well be in Mandarin to me mate.

Don't laugh...i've just bought a new all-in-one printer,fax etc and its the first time i've ever set anything up on the laptop in my life.

I need someone to hold my hand really and show me/do it for me before i can part with my dosh.

Any ideas?

I use Joomla for my sites, Its easy enough to use once you know your way around but it can be abit daunting at first.

I use stable host, pay £24 a year for hosting and also get a free .co.uk domain for that aswell. They also have joomla, wordpress ect quick installs on their cpanel so its easy enough to install.

I saw an advert in Proffesional electrician something about a free domain and website to get all uk businesses online. I can't remember the link but i will dig it out, it might be useful for some people on here.

PS: i find 123-reg cheaper than 1&1 for domains.

Last edited:
Hi All

I wasnt thinking of cost (thats a word I have) I am however in love with the word FREE. We all have one thing in common or we would not be members of this forum.

My idea is to create a self help group so that everyone who is a member of this forum is helping generate business for each other and pointing people in the right direction.

I dont particulary want to get to involved in building websites as I would have to charge for, that said if you supply the graphics and what you want we can agree a price this would have to be a last resort.

However lets see how the self help bit goes first despite what the web builders say it is not impossible for someone with no knowledge of html, javascript, CSS etc to build there own website that they would have full control of to update etc etc so keep the ideas flowing.

Just bear in mind the whole idea is minimum cost maximum return.

Chris

The free website offer Echo mentioned is Getting British Business Online
Easy to sign up to and FREE !
Get a .co.uk domain free for 2 years. Its all tied in with Google and they will host a basic site for you.

If you know what you are doing with html/redirections etc after a few months (might be 6 I think) you can move the domain away from them and point at it your own host, still keeping the name.

When the 2 years is up, just renew the domain name.

Thought it sounded to good to be true when I first saw it, but signed up anyway thinking that Google/GBBO would own the website, but have had a confirmation email from Nominet and the name is definately mine.
Not using it at the moment, but got it now as I have a long term plan for it and 'old' (ie sites that have been registered a long time) rank better in Google, so in 3 or 4 years time you never know

microsoft office live do a free for 2 year deal, you just register your card details and away you go . they have basic templates ready to use and you get so many email addresses , storage space etc for documents so you can access from any web connection.to boost ratings submit your details to everything , search engines, local services sites etc . and you have to add in metatags and key words, which are basically like hidden key words that the search engines see but are not on screen but do it early cause it takes a while to get higher up mthe search results.

Some very good ideas coming through chaps but what I am looking at is your own domain name and web space if you are advertising your business which is more impressive [email protected] or [email protected]

So keep the ideas and suggestions coming in and hopefully we will all benefit from it.

Chris

microsoft are bottom of the league regards search, hence the partnership with yahoo. meta tags are a complete waste of time nowadays, they were useful in the old days of alta vista, search robots are much more sophisticated now, keyword stuffed tags stand out like sore thumb.

The only search engine worthwhile concentrating on is google, with a 75% share of the market. It is possible to spam the others with hidden keywords on page, and 301 redirects etc...but when google spots what your up to...bump banned from google...

Hi guys I used a site call moon fruit to make my website (google it) it's really easy to do and it's all free apart from the domain name that's £9 for the year,they even host it for free as long as you update it every now and then :D.

Reply to Websites in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net