Discuss websites in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stan794

Hi chaps,
Have many of you guys got a website for your business, I am thinking if getting one but wondered how effective they are in this type of work. I have had some crazy quotes ad well to have one made, but if it brings work in then fine, has anyone done their own.

I think that for an Electrician, you probably just want a very simple website, which should be very cheap. Thinking along the lines of 4 pages:
1) Home Page
2) Contact Us/Get A Quote
3) Gallery of Installation Pictures
4) Terms & Conditions of Business
It's more of a Business Card than anything else, you want to encourage people to get in touch with you, and a lot of people prefer to do that electronically...

Quotes for websites can be ridiculous at times. I know someone that will do a very impressive small website for about £400. But you may want to consider trying yourself with the not very good, yet effective tools that you get with the web space.

Moldable media (I think I got the name right?) do a special offer for members. IIRC it's £250 for design, setup and first year and £60 PA thereafter.

Admin sent an email around mentioning this company so I'm happy to provide you with the link

My funds are being concentrated elsewhere at the moment so if you beat me there I'd love to hear some feedback:thumbsup

If you wanted something dead simple, then you can either do it yourself, or it shouldn't cost more than £100-£200 for what I've described above. We do hosting and manage sites for clients, but don't do any design per-se (mainly because I can't draw) and would probably be charging down the lower end for a simple,text only site with a contact/quote form and simple gallery script (You would provide content for the home page, T&C's, and Photos). Ongoing costs would be £15/year on hosting, plus domain names to suit (£10/2 years on .co.uk's, £10/year on .com's).
(Apologies for the blatent advertising here, hope no-one minds)

The important thing with a website is can people find it and thus find you. If you type electrician and your town into google have a look who comes up. In my area I am at the top of the google searches after the sponsored ads. I live in a small town so my competition is only a few other sparks but my website has been optimised by my web designer so it can be found with simple search terms. It's called SEO or search engine optimisation and is probably the most important thing about a website after content.

I would certainly advise anyone having a website and it has covered it's costs for me in the business it has brought in and mine was a professional design costing £400.

Having a website is just part of your marketing. It has to have your home/base address and be clear and simple. Its unlikely to bring in 1000's of customers.

Don't forget that once its set up you'll probably have an annual charge plus costs to make changes.

Personally I paid to have mine done (which cost about £400), costs about £100 per year to host etc and minor changes are very reasonable.

If you're self employed these costs are all business overheads, so on the basis you're paying tax, it won't cost you anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
i did my own with web plus software from serif, you can download a free version that will do 4 pages or the full program for about £70. There is no differance apart from the page limit. I had no web design knowedge before using this program and i am not artistic at all, it was a bit of a learning curve but was a bit of fun as well. Serif also have a very good forum of helpful people.

I have made a few sites with it, my electrical one is well out of date but i am too busy doing other stuff at the moment but i am finding more people are finding me on the web as more people get internet savy, i live in the sticks so a high elderely population (non internet) but for guys in towns i think it is a must.

I have even setup a webcam and weather station for the local paragliding club in one of my sites so we can see when its worth downing tools and going flying

The most important thing is getting the wording, page titles, picture names and key words correct so that google can find you when people search for "electrician "your town"" this is called SEO or search engine optimisation and have a link in your sig on forums as this helps your page ranking in google.

my sites if you are interested are

edit to say whats below was not as i typed but how the forum has displayed my links.

calne westbury trowbridge devizes melksham electrician devizes rewire sockets lights house wiring
rybury webcam
Trade Greeting Cards
www.wastevegetableoildevizes.com

Last edited:
JUst out of curiosity and along similar lines, does anyone have a Facebook group set up for their company and added all their friends to it for work?

If so did it get any business as afterall it is free advertising.

If you're self employed these costs are all business overheads, so on the basis you're paying tax, it won't cost you anything.
I think what Murdoch means is that it won't cost as much as it seems because, as a business expense, you save the tax and NI on the amount of the website, rather than that it won't cost you anything!

I think what Murdoch means is that it won't cost as much as it seems because, as a business expense, you save the tax and NI on the amount of the website, rather than that it won't cost you anything!

Yes, my earlier post was hastily put together and yes Handysparks you are on the money. I'm still of the opinion that investment in a "good" website is necessary these days and that its simply another annual cost you have to allow for.

Hi chaps,
Have many of you guys got a website for your business, I am thinking if getting one but wondered how effective they are in this type of work. I have had some crazy quotes ad well to have one made, but if it brings work in then fine, has anyone done their own.
Buy yourself a domain name and PM me. I will do a website for you at rock bottom price!

might take you up on that, goody. been thinking about a website for a while. i have a hosted domain with 1and1.

if you fancy having a go yourself there is a very good system called 'Create'. i've developed a few sites for businesses and charities using a different system, but recently discovered 'Create' and it's much easier to use. if you can use Microsoft Word, then you can probably use this. there are lots of examples on their site that have been produced using their system. You can have a free trial for 30days and the hosting fees start at about £5 per month.

I use Wordpress Content Management System which is highly popular & recommended by web developers and comes with SEO tools. I will do a simple design of your choice with a minimum of 5 pages (home, our services, areas covered, price guide and contact us) and I would charge between £150 & £200.

But you should have a domain name (costs around £5 a year) and hosting (100MB space with unlimited bandwidth costs around £20 per year) arranged.

Anyone interested, please PM me with your details. Hope no one thinks that I am trying to use this forum to advertise myself as a web developer.

Regards!

Hi
I would recommend avoiding moldablemedia.com as they have taken my money & done a runner!
The site is no longer active!!!
Great plug from this forum to recommend someone so trustworthy!!!

All due respect mate but it came from one member's positive experience of them. Now that we've had a negative one too which suggests to me they've gone bust, most will probably avoid. Thanks for the heads up about them

First of all you can get a free website from your ISP providor this is good to practise on plus I paid £55 for a domain name and hosting for 2 years (from Streamline.net) plus I built the site myself as I had MS Office 2007 and it had MS Publisher in it that lets you build a site easy peasy so look at what software you have then put something together but remember once you get more confidant you will be continually improving it as you go. So this is perfect weather to grab a beer and get working or you could be lazy and forget all about it.

PS a lot of web officiados do not approve of Publisher but it worked for me

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to websites in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock