Discuss weekly wage in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dannyc

hi all, i have just passed all the relevant exams and i'm going to start working for a self employed man who's got lots of work. thats all cool but now the chat about wages is due can anyone guide me on a figure to go on? I dont want to ask for £200 a week and not pay the bills but i dont want to ask for stupid amounts and get told where to go and lose out. i live in surrey so i know he wont be cheap. thanks in advance guys.:sick:

Was a labourer before the recession so Know some building bit so i can make good most things but in the whole electrical world not much.

Maybe you should agree a salary for the first 12 months and if you think its a bit low see if he'll go for a "profit" bonus at the end of the year? i.e. you work hard and contribute to his business and he makes more money then you get a cut too!

how much do you need to earn a week to pay bills...
how much do you need to earn a week to buy food...
how much do you need to earn to enjoy life...

add all together and divide by 7

i.e biils - 125
food - 75
entertainment - 55
other misc - 30

over 5 days this equaits to 7.60 (based on 7.5 hours a day) so i would ask for 7-8 pounds an hour for 6 months with agreed increases if satisfactory

Given the area I'd say more like 8, at least for the first 6 months or so, but be prepared to accept less - remember there are thousands of people who would jump at the chance to do it for free.

Depends on the agreement really. Is he paying you when you are sick? Is he giving you paid holidays? Is he going to guarantee you a wage even if he goes on holiday?
By "working", do you mean carrying skilled work on your own, or just labouring for him?
Maybe let him make you an offer, rather than asking. You may be pleasantly surprised :)

ask for £8 and be prepared to accept £7. no less. with a review after 6 months.

how much do you need to earn a week to pay bills...
how much do you need to earn a week to buy food...
how much do you need to earn to enjoy life...

add all together and divide by 7

i.e biils - 125
food - 75
entertainment - 55
other misc - 30

over 5 days this equaits to 7.60 (based on 7.5 hours a day) so i would ask for 7-8 pounds an hour for 6 months with agreed increases if satisfactory

unfortunately wages are decided on what youre worth , not what you need.
£200 a week for a guy with no real / recent experience aint too bad.
i doubt you'll get much more in the domestic game to be honest.

£200 /week is below minimum wage.

youre right , it is.
there again we see jobs advertised that barely reach £10 ph for jib sparks.
we also see dozens of guys offering to work for free just to get experience in our job section.
market forces decide pay , not the goverment

The going rate round here for a labourer with some skills is @ £60:00 a day through CIS. So that equates to £7:50 ph for an eight hour day.

sad state of affairs. the legacy of part p and these training providers churning out domestic installers expecting £50k /year. when there's not enough work for established fully trained sparks. the government created this mess, ( well, the phoney blair shysters did) so the government should fix it. i'm not holding my breath.

37.5 hours @ £6.08 comes to £11800 ish or £228 /week unless you're under 21 then its less.

Best to do some sums before you have the conversation but remember a job is a job, and that means good hands on experience too, plus a reference if you do a good job!

Good luck

sad state of affairs. the legacy of part p and these training providers churning out domestic installers expecting £50k /year. when there's not enough work for established fully trained sparks. the government created this mess, ( well, the phoney blair shysters did) so the government should fix it. i'm not holding my breath.

I do think that there's hundreds if not thousands of newly trained bods who could take the training providers to court using "miss selling" as a claim.

Reply to weekly wage in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net