Discuss Weird Electrium Consumer Unit B4471/2? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SiFiSu

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I am having weird behaviour from my flat's electrics which I think will need an electrician. The flat is empty whilst it is being redecorated and there is nothing plugged in.

With no load the RCD trips some days and will not reset but other times is fine. I have discovered that if I switch off the MCB for the 13A sockets in the bedroom and living room it will reset.

As it is an intermittent fault, even when there is no load, should I be suspecting the consumer unit or MCB? And if so will I need a new consumer unit or are replacement MCBs still available?

Sorry for all my questions but I would like to understand what is the likely problem, thank you, Simon

Hi - sorry to hear about the unexpected RCD trips. There are several things it could be and it will likely take a test instrument and an experienced operator to find it.

Hopefully there’s nothing wrong with the CU. I’m not familiar with the model number to comment on parts. Can you post a pic?

If it is empty and being decorated, it is possible that damp has got to some socket(s)

As above, it really needs someone with an insulation tester to trace the problem down to a particular point in the wiring.

Reactions: DPG
Hi - sorry to hear about the unexpected RCD trips. There are several things it could be and it will likely take a test instrument and an experienced operator to find it.

Hopefully there’s nothing wrong with the CU. I’m not familiar with the model number to comment on parts. Can you post a pic?

Here is the consumer unit, its a MK one

Attachments

• Weird Electrium Consumer Unit B4471/2? 20201006_104107 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201006_104107.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 25
Hi - the modern MK version of those MCB and RCD can still be bought if required. I always advise turning the main switch off before taking the cover off - less surprises that way especially as we know there’s a fault somewhere :) .

If it is empty and being decorated, it is possible that damp has got to some socket(s)

As above, it really needs someone with an insulation tester to trace the problem down to a particular point in the wiring.

Thanks, I know it does not test for insulation issues but I bought from Screwfix one of those socket testers, it was less than a tenner, more out of curiosity than anything. Anyway it showed that all the sockets were wired up correctly!! HOWEVER on one socket when I switched off the socket the tester buzzed very quietly which suggested to me (I'm no electrician) that something was amiss. I assume the positive was switched but where was the power coming from to make the tester buzz?? All speculations etc welcome, many thanks, Simon
[automerge]1602013676[/automerge]
Hi - the modern MK version of those MCB and RCD can still be bought if required. I always advise turning the main switch off before taking the cover off - less surprises that way especially as we know there’s a fault somewhere :) .

Yes sorry about that, I'm an oldie and should know better

Reply to Weird Electrium Consumer Unit B4471/2? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock