Discuss weird fault. baffling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
doing a shower room installation. in the room were (apart from lights and fan) a rfc terminated in a JB. this was used to spur off to an outside socket ( by me). a second rfc fed a shaver socket point. the 2 cables were then terminated in wagos to preserve the ring. this ring overnight became dead, taking out 2 sockets in the kitchen/diner and 1 socket in the living room. other sockets in both rooms still live. obviously, there's 2 rfc's floating about, supply is from a 12 way wylex 3036. all fuses OK. there's also 2 split CU's added, but none of these seem to be applicable. sounds like i've got an interesting monday.

Might you use this problem as a teach-in/masterclass for less experienced folk to learn from? Perhaps after you have fixed it describe the steps you took.

PS: a second rfc fed a shaver socket point. Was there any fusing between the rfc and ssp? If not I did not think direct connection was permitted.

Perhaps some ones been messing around under the floor, after the trades persons have left for the day, disturbing JB & Wago JB? Some customers are really nosey!

rfc was fed from wylex 3036 board, not knowing which fuse out of 4 30A ones, board was isolated and all 4 30A fuses removed while i was working. quick continuity test between L & L proved it was a ring. all i did was to diss the shaver point, pull cables back through joists and wago the ends at a point where a FCU for UFH was to be fitted.

Are your sure it was the circuit you worked on.?

Haha joking Tel.[/QUOTE]

was to diss the shaver point, pull cables back through joists and wago the ends at a point where a FCU for UFH was to be fitted.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
eureka. it has just clicked what the problem is. once you have eliminated the impossible, what ever is left , however improbable, must be the answer,

i had 4 2.5mm ends. let's call then 1,2,3,and 4.

1 and 2 were at 1 point, joined in a JB.
3 and 4 were joined in a shaver point.
when all 4 were dissed and re-dressed, i did a continuity check and got 2 pairs each pair showed continuity on all conductors, assumed 1-2 and 3-4, then assumed they were 2 separate rfc's. the solution came to me just as i was having a wake up smoke. it;s not 2 rings, it;s 1 ring and 1 pair of cables is just a ring section whereas the other pair are back to the board. in short, it means just swapping cables so it will be 1-3 and 2-4, thus reconnecting the section. basically my mistake, should have marked cables before disconnecting. them.

Reply to weird fault. baffling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net