Discuss Weird problem with reverse light in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a strange problem with a reverse light bulb. I replaced the bulb with a new one as it didn't light up but it still didn't work. I've tested the bulb and it works (tried several new ones as well). I've tested the socket with a meter and get 11.8v. To rule out potential bad connection I've put 2 wires directly into the correct pins on the connector and tried the bulb- still nothing.
If I monitor the voltage, it stays at 11.8v until the bulb is in the circuit and then it drops to 0v. Then I remove the bulb and it goes back up to 11.8v.
Any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks in advance! :)

The reverse light works on a switch that connects the wire to ground.
There is either a break in a wire, a wire has become disconnected at the gear box, the switch is broken or the selector is no longer operating the switch.
Find the wire or wires that connect to the switch underneath the car on the gear box.
With the engine off but the ignition on so all the lights on the dash are lit, select reverse and jack the car up.
If there is only one wire, disconnect the wire and try touching it to the body of the gear box while someone looks to see if the reversing light lights up.
If it lights up, the switch is broken or the gear selector is no longer operating the switch.
Replace the switch, if it still doesn’t work, the gear box needs taking apart.

If the reversing lights don’t light up when you touch the wire to the body of the gear box, the wire is broken.

With 2 wires, one will be live, the other will connect somewhere to ground.
Test the wires to find the live, then test the other wire for continuity with ground.

The reverse light works on a switch that connects the wire to ground.
There is either a break in a wire, a wire has become disconnected at the gear box, the switch is broken or the selector is no longer operating the switch.
Would that be the case even though Im getting 11.8v at the rear light connector when reverse gear is selected?

You have a bad connection . Probably Earth.
Ruled out earth issues. Used a good earth instead of the common on the connector. Again reads voltage between the reverse light pin and earth but won't light a bulb. Must be not enough current. Might the switch on the gearbox be corroded?IMG_20181009_225908.jpg

Reply to Weird problem with reverse light in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net