Discuss Welcome to the world of the 18th Edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Now we are officially on the 18th edition, has anybody bothered changing anything on stationary, websites etc.. or encountered customers moaning about new regulations affecting jobs/quotes etc...

I have contacted my main customers regarding omission of RCD protection on socket outlets.

Telecoms providers prefer not to have their cut turned off due to a bit of earth leakage yet they seem to be reluctant to carry out a risk assessment. As they design the circuits that we put in for them I would expect them to have thought about this, I've only been hassling for six months...

Reason I started the thread was more of a **** take as i will no doubt have people on quotes telling some other electrician says i need all this work doing to comply with the 18th edition. The cowboys will be rubbing their hands together

Which raises an interesting question ... Assuming you are working on an existing installation, what 18th edition changes actually change what we have to do ....

no changes, IMO, just the work that you do needs to be to 18th.e. g.if fitting a new luminaire ( light forthe uninitiated ), you need to add RCD if not already in place, but only for your new light, not necessarily for existing lights.

We now have a requirement for lighting circuits to be provided with RCD protection.
If you add new light fittings to an existing circuit, then you will have to provide the circuit with RCD protection.
We are no longer allowed to provide non RCD sockets for specific items of equipment.
If you had to replace such a socket, You would have to provide RCD protection, or change the socket to an FCU.

no changes, IMO, just the work that you do needs to be to 18th.e. g.if fitting a new luminaire ( light for the uninitiated ), you need to add RCD if not already in place, but only for your new light, not necessarily for existing lights.

Not sure I agree with that ...... a replacement light doesn't need RCD protection but additional lights would need RCD protection for the circuit....

Not sure I agree with that ...... a replacement light doesn't need RCD protection but additional lights would need RCD protection for the circuit....
i meant if you were fitting an additional light, not a replacement. so i agree with your last post. :D:D:D.

I would imagine that fitting SPD’s falls under the category of new works rather than adding a point on a circuit
They are however not mandatory on all single dwelling domestic installations but if you are judging their installation on the cost of the equipment they are to protect then they are perhaps required and should be considered in most domestic applications.

Last edited:
So as a theory: existing rewirable board with no spare ways. Lady of the house buys a new cooker in the January sales which is electric. Even in the sales the cooker costs £1500. The existing cooker is gas, no existing electric circuit but she now needs one. To make make matters worse the only cable route is to clip direct and/or in surface trunking around the perimeter of the room from the utility next door where the CU is located. What would you do?

So as a theory: existing rewirable board with no spare ways. Lady of the house buys a new cooker in the January sales which is electric. Even in the sales the cooker costs £1500. The existing cooker is gas, no existing electric circuit but she now needs one. To make make matters worse the only cable route is to clip direct and/or in surface trunking around the perimeter of the room from the utility next door where the CU is located. What would you do?
Retire early!

Provide a verbal quote and walk away ......

Reply to Welcome to the world of the 18th Edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net