Discuss Welder supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello just after joining the forum.

Just have a question about the power supply for a welder im buying.

Was hoping to get a 300amp mig welder that requires a 32amp supply. But after reading a bit about the power needed to run it full power im not sure is the supply at my house good enuf.

The main supply coming into the house is only 63amp.

I know i have to get an electrician in to install a 32amp mcb in the box and run 6 or 10mm t&e cable for it.

Just not sure will there be enuf power left to run the house while im welding, or is it likely to overload. Ill post a pic later of the box outside and the cu when i get a chance.

Thanks for any answers

I think you would have to be unlucky to pop the main fuse for you house supply.

What load have you got in the house?
Cooker, shower, electric heating?

The only big power things are the electric shower and the cooker.

So im guessing that the remaining 30 or so amps while im welding should be grand once nobody has a shower or has the cooker and kettle going at the same time.

The lights in the house dim when the showers on so thats why i was thinkin the supply here isnt enuf for the welder i want.

With a bit of jigging around a contactor could be fitted to you installation to stop the welder and shower/cooker from running at the same time.

If you want it could be configured to turn the shower off if you want to do some welding, especially if your other half has annoyed you and she's in it at the time!!!

300 amp is a big welder. I was thinking that if you already have it careful use of it will not cause problems , depending of course what you will be using it for.
Run of the mill stuff will be ok .

Ps . you are more likely to get grief from the neighbours when you fire it up.

Hi,if the supply circuit is installed correctly,you should be OK,
You will not be running at maximum at all times,and it will have a duty cycle specification,in the MI.

I run a Murex 245 at home,and have zipped up 12mm bits of fab,without the world ending :)

Again,you will need a qualified opinion,on the joining bits,but it is not apostasy :cool:

Hi daveylennon welcome to the forum.
As a previous class 1 welder i can assure you that you will never need the full 300 amp max use of the welder, if you did need that much power you are welding some proper heavy thick gauge steel lol.
Every welder you buy will have a maximum rating and a 300 amp welder run at 300 amp will only weld for a minute or 2 due to its duty cycle. M.I.G welders are different than arc welders in that its initial start up current is high but only for a split second. The welder itself should have its own thermal overload protection built in to protect itself from burning out i.e part of the welders duty cycle.
It might be worth thinking about asking the electrician to install a separate 32 amp supply similar to a shower isolation unit so if it does trip it will not knock out the power in your house. I cant advise on the cable size as there is no information on routing or length of run etc your electrician will calculate this himself.
32 amp supply has been recommended simply to allow the welder to run at its maximum duty cycle and i can pretty much guarantee you will never run that welder to its full duty cycle and will probably never trip out the circuit breaker. If you check the specifications of the welder it will tell you its duty cycle and how long it will run for at a selected amperage.
Hope that helps and happy welding.

Reply to Welder supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net