Discuss Well I've got a fun day planned! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am almost 50 and think I am about 30. I go kick boxing and am by far the eldest. I can keep up with them fitness wise and strength but they run rings around me with agility and speed, hence, and to the point, I have a cracked rib from a kick......

So I'm bored at home and practising, albeit with the odd grimace, with the new wall chaser as in my other thread.

Today I am at the exciting stage of fitting the oval conduit into the chase, which I am actually quite excited about as I have only ever used capping and cant wait to see a neat piece of oval conduit popped into a chase half the size of one needed for capping. Also, thanks to @Baddegg I am going to use concrete screws to keep it in place, rather than use screws which need rawl plus. Again, I'm quite excited to see how this works and the time it will save!

My day doesn't stop there, it gets more exciting. I seem to be terrible at ethernet points. They just don't work, lucky I've only been asked once and found a solution. So, I have a bag of rj45's, cat 5, ethernet socket and a cup of fancy machine coffee and my day is about to rock! ?

Pass-through and a good crimper make it much easier. My first efforts took half an hour each, now I'm down to 29 minutes, tops!
Actually quite therapeutic...

Have you got the pass-through crimps and tool for the rj45's? Very difficult to get them wrong if you have them!
Agreed... pass-through versions are the way to go... I've not had a single failure with those yet ! Test 100% first time, and only take a few minutes each !

I am almost 50 and think I am about 30. I go kick boxing and am by far the eldest. I can keep up with them fitness wise and strength but they run rings around me with agility and speed, hence, and to the point, I have a cracked rib from a kick......

So I'm bored at home and practising, albeit with the odd grimace, with the new wall chaser as in my other thread.

Today I am at the exciting stage of fitting the oval conduit into the chase, which I am actually quite excited about as I have only ever used capping and cant wait to see a neat piece of oval conduit popped into a chase half the size of one needed for capping. Also, thanks to @Baddegg I am going to use concrete screws to keep it in place, rather than use screws which need rawl plus. Again, I'm quite excited to see how this works and the time it will save!

My day doesn't stop there, it gets more exciting. I seem to be terrible at ethernet points. They just don't work, lucky I've only been asked once and found a solution. So, I have a bag of rj45's, cat 5, ethernet socket and a cup of fancy machine coffee and my day is about to rock! ?
That would be far too much excitement for me, you young whippersnappers living in the fast lane. ?

Everything other than sitting at my laptop typing.
you lazy wimp. I've already done some filling on a dent in the van, refixed the loose bumper, cut, modified 2 curtain poles and replaced the old ones as per 'er indoors command. and that's all before beer o'clock.

Yep that's me, I finished all my working years ago, if I need something doing I employ others.

And lets face it, if it was not for people like me you guys would be out of work.

Last edited:
Have you got the pass-through crimps and tool for the rj45's? Very difficult to get them wrong if you have them!

Pass-through and a good crimper make it much easier. My first efforts took half an hour each, now I'm down to 29 minutes, tops!
Actually quite therapeutic...

Agreed... pass-through versions are the way to go... I've not had a single failure with those yet ! Test 100% first time, and only take a few minutes each !
Jesus Christ! The blasted rj45's just won't work! My fun day is getting frustrating!

I have wired one end into an ethernet socket and one end into a RJ45 connector. I am using T568B on both sides. When I test it shows a break in one of the numbers, so I put another RJ45 on and it shows a break in different number. However, when I press the RJ45 firmly into the socket all lights on the tester flashed correctly. As soon as I let go of the rj45 connection, one of the lights ceases to flash. The rj45 just doesn't seem to make a good connection inside the socket. I have a cheap crimper. The RJ45's are from screwfix.
The cat 5e is definitely all the way to the end of the RJ45 and is not too long or too short.

Is this most likely due to :
1. Poor quality crimper.
2. Poor quality RJ45
3. Poor quality socket? ( I dont think so as it's schneider and the punch down connections seem fine).
4. I'm not going to add poor workmanship!

What is a pass through rj45? Does it just mean the cable passes completely through? Guessing you need a crimper that chops off the ends then?

Any recommendations for a good quality crimper (for pass through) and good quality pass through RJ45's?

Scouse term. scragg end of mutton was all most of our parents could get after war rationing. usually boiled up with leftover veg and anything else handy to make a pan of Scouse. ( lobby in Stoke, hotpot in lancashire). so it's come to mean the ends you normally cut off and discard.

here endeth todasy's lesson.

As far as I know there are only a couple of us on here who would remember our mothers buying Scrag end just after the war, (one g) I also remember as a child being pulled into a butchers by my mother to get out the way of Mosley's gang of black shirts marching down the Holloway Road.

Today I am at the exciting stage of fitting the oval conduit into the chase, which I am actually quite excited about as I have only ever used capping and cant wait to see a neat piece of oval conduit popped into a chase half the size of one needed for capping.

If it wasn't for the fact that you're tearing up your own walls, I'd really love to hear your thoughts after trying a slightly deeper chase with round conduit bushed into boxes. For extra excitement; it could be filled and finished before cables are even installed.

Last edited:

Reply to Well I've got a fun day planned! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net