Discuss Well I've got a fun day planned! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jesus Christ! The blasted rj45's just won't work! My fun day is getting frustrating!

I have wired one end into an ethernet socket and one end into a RJ45 connector. I am using T568B on both sides. When I test it shows a break in one of the numbers, so I put another RJ45 on and it shows a break in different number. However, when I press the RJ45 firmly into the socket all lights on the tester flashed correctly. As soon as I let go of the rj45 connection, one of the lights ceases to flash. The rj45 just doesn't seem to make a good connection inside the socket. I have a cheap crimper. The RJ45's are from screwfix.
The cat 5e is definitely all the way to the end of the RJ45 and is not too long or too short.

Is this most likely due to :
1. Poor quality crimper.
2. Poor quality RJ45
3. Poor quality socket? ( I dont think so as it's schneider and the punch down connections seem fine).
4. I'm not going to add poor workmanship!

What is a pass through rj45? Does it just mean the cable passes completely through? Guessing you need a crimper that chops off the ends then?

Any recommendations for a good quality crimper (for pass through) and good quality pass through RJ45's?

Well a bit of a coincidence, I haven't done any Ethernet/RJ45 stuff in like forever, yet did so this weekend!

My husband is being sent home to work from home (It's the government's version of detention I think), so we need to set up a second office space, which meant running cat5e cable right through under floor etc. a new switch, and wifi router in that area of the house - it's always been a bit of a blind spot for the house wifi.

I spent ages trying to find a connection issue only to find the cable had a couple of broken wires, so pulled in fresh cat5e and everything was sweet.

As for patch cables, I use the screwfix ones as well and have no problems, I have a cheap crimper but works fine, on the wall I use the screwfix rj45 modules, again no issues - other than that ****ing cable break!

Scouse term. scragg end of mutton was all most of our parents could get after war rationing. usually boiled up with leftover veg and anything else handy to make a pan of Scouse. ( lobby in Stoke, hotpot in lancashire). so it's come to mean the ends you normally cut off and discard.

here endeth todasy's lesson.
Always wondered where the term 'Scragg' came from.
I used it as a poker name many moons ago, I knew it was something to do with food but not sure what.

This forum is full of knowledge!

Scouse term. scragg end of mutton was all most of our parents could get after war rationing. usually boiled up with leftover veg and anything else handy to make a pan of Scouse. ( lobby in Stoke, hotpot in lancashire). so it's come to mean the ends you normally cut off and discard.

here endeth todasy's lesson.
Common term all over the north. Boney neck mutton.

Lobby in Leigh, too.

Wigan v Leigh (rugby)...Pie Eaters v Lobby Gobblers.

maybe the shielded ones are to prevent covid19. i've terminated loads into the sockets with punch down tool but never fitted the plugs. that was always the IT monkeys' job.

I thought you did mate, why would you use shielded then?? Never touched this stuff before
I have hardly ever seen shielded Ethernet in use.

Obvious benefit is higher noise immunity, though the twisted-pairs of normal Ethernet is pretty good. Also to minimise any voltage differences between equipment, but again traditional Ethernet uses isolation transformers so doesn't care (within reason) though PoE stuff has the DC aspect on top of the AC coupled signals.

However, not a lot of equipment has earthing sockets so probably it is not much benefit without a bit of care in the overall setup design.

As an aside: once we had a cheap PoE switch in us as a "sacrificial barrier" between outdoor cameras and the internal (expensive) Cisco switch at my last job, just in case of any big lightning surges. The switch had 4 PoE ports and 4 normal, so we use a normal (i.e. transformer isolated) one to connect to the main Cisco switch which was PoE enabled.

I bought the ideal rj45 crimper and through crimps, they are great!

The problem did actually turn out to be with the damn socket though, not the terminations of the socket though, the rj45 just wasn't making good contact into the socket!

I bought the ideal rj45 crimper and through crimps, they are great!

The problem did actually turn out to be with the damn socket though, not the terminations of the socket though, the rj45 just wasn't making good contact into the socket!
Some can be quite flimsy. Believe it or not, the worst I came across were the Schneider/GET Ultimate. It is a really good, very costly range but RJ45 and telephone cable connections are very lacking.

Some can be quite flimsy. Believe it or not, the worst I came across were the Schneider/GET Ultimate. It is a really good, very costly range but RJ45 and telephone cable connections are very lacking.
Interesting! This one was a shneider.

I have hardly ever seen shielded Ethernet in use.

Obvious benefit is higher noise immunity, though the twisted-pairs of normal Ethernet is pretty good. Also to minimise any voltage differences between equipment, but again traditional Ethernet uses isolation transformers so doesn't care (within reason) though PoE stuff has the DC aspect on top of the AC coupled signals.

However, not a lot of equipment has earthing sockets so probably it is not much benefit without a bit of care in the overall setup design.

As an aside: once we had a cheap PoE switch in us as a "sacrificial barrier" between outdoor cameras and the internal (expensive) Cisco switch at my last job, just in case of any big lightning surges. The switch had 4 PoE ports and 4 normal, so we use a normal (i.e. transformer isolated) one to connect to the main Cisco switch which was PoE enabled.
Used quite a bit of outdoor Cat5 STP on data radio equipment in the past but for normal network cabling I can only remember doing a couple of jobs where STP was specified

Reply to Well I've got a fun day planned! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock