Discuss Wet Pants why oh why.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short my brother is having a new boiler fitted , the old one was wired via a plug top to a kitchen worktop socket.
So I (FOC) wired him a new 2.5 radial on its own circuit back to the board fished under the floor and through a cupboard so took about a hour left the end coiled up next the consumers unit. Fitted a nice new surface spur in the cupboard ready to be energised once the plumber was there.
Wet pants has pulled my cable out , removed my fused spur and put the new boiler back on a plug top into the worktop socket just because I couldn't get there when he wanted to liven the spur up.

Argggg...

Why he pulled the cable out and removed the spur I have no idea.

Why 2.5mm for a Boiler (Gas I assume)?
Why not 1.5mm?

Most people keep 1.0 and 2.5 on the van, 1.5 is more unusual.
So you could install a standard circuit of 2.5mm on a 16A MCB or calculate for a non standard circuit in 1.0mm,far easier to just follow a standard circuit plus it gives a bit of leeway of other things need to be added to the circuit later.

Most people keep 1.0 and 2.5 on the van, 1.5 is more unusual.
So you could install a standard circuit of 2.5mm on a 16A MCB or calculate for a non standard circuit in 1.0mm,far easier to just follow a standard circuit plus it gives a bit of leeway of other things need to be added to the circuit later.
In fairness to @123 everyone here would stock 1.5mm^2 cable - 1mm^2 would be very unusual. I never understood the 2.5mm^2 heating circuits either but your explanation about 1.5mm^2 cable not generally being stocked there seems like a reasonable explanation. Why not stock 1mm^2, 1.5mm^2 and 2.5mm^2 though?

In fairness to @123 everyone here would stock 1.5mm^2 cable - 1mm^2 would be very unusual. I never understood the 2.5mm^2 heating circuits either but your explanation about 1.5mm^2 cable not generally being stocked there seems like a reasonable explanation. Why not stock 1mm^2, 1.5mm^2 and 2.5mm^2 though?

Generally we have no need for 1.5mm T&E, domestic lighting circuits are normally 6A so 1.0mm is more than big enough, and the vast majority of power circuits will need 2.5mm.
When I was doing domestic we used to have 1.0 2.5 and 6.0 on the van which covers the majority of jobs. Adding 1.5 and 4.0 would have just taken up space unnecessarily.
Plus there is everyone's favourite reasons of 'we've always done it like this' or 'that's the way we did it when I was an apprentice'

Ah totally forgot that on your side of the Irish Sea you use 1.0mm for lighting, we use 1.5mm, and you'd do well to find a wholesaler here that stocks 1.0mm (I don't know of any). We also have 1.5mm PVC/PVC Singles brown or blue and 1.5mm PVC/PVC & Earth brown or blue stocked by all wholesalers.

Ah totally forgot that on your side of the Irish Sea you use 1.0mm for lighting, we use 1.5mm, and you'd do well to find a wholesaler here that stocks 1.0mm (I don't know of any). We also have 1.5mm PVC/PVC Singles brown or blue and 1.5mm PVC/PVC & Earth brown or blue stocked by all wholesalers.
Perhaps we'll teach them our ways yet! :cool:

Do you use bigger ocpds? To my mind it makes no sense to use 1.5 for a 6A circuit whem 1mm is already bigger than is normally necessary.
PVC/PVC singles and PVC/PVC single+earth is something I would love to see commonly available, and used, over here.

Unnecessary waste of materials annoys the hell out of me, oversized cables or T&E used where only one core is required are fine examples.

Do you use bigger ocpds? To my mind it makes no sense to use 1.5 for a 6A circuit whem 1mm is already bigger than is normally necessary.
PVC/PVC singles and PVC/PVC single+earth is something I would love to see commonly available, and used, over here.

Unnecessary waste of materials annoys the hell out of me, oversized cables or T&E used where only one core is required are fine examples.
In the north it tends to be 1.5mm^2 with 6A circuit breakers, but in the south the norm is 1.5mm^2 with a 10A MCB (which I accept is more logical to use with it).

I agree with 123 I've only ever bought 1 roll of 1mm in my life always 1.5mm. You all need to get using twin brown there as well. Surely better than having to sleeve switch cables. As for the plumber, sounds like he did it out of spite because you couldn't be there at his demand, they are strange and awkward people

Reply to Wet Pants why oh why.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock