Discuss Wet Room Heater in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dean Smith

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have been asked to fit an electric heater into a disabled wet room, I had suggested a electric towel rail as I believe a downflow heater they were asking for would not meet the regs for a wet room, as I would say the whole room would be Zone 2.
Would you agree with this? or is there a heater more suitable?

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd say that it may be possible to fit a downflow heater. Take a look at BS7671:2008 Amdt 1, 701.32.3(ii)b. For showers without a basin, if you have a fixed shower outlet, this gives zone 1 as 1.2m horizontally from the outlet. There is no zone 2.

If the shower outlet is on a flexible hose, then there's much more chance of water being thrown about, so the heater would have to be a good long way from the shower to be confident that it wouldn't get wet. I'm not sure what actual distance would be suitable in this case.

So, I think it really depends on how big the room is.

Reply to Wet Room Heater in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net