Discuss Wetpants Strikes Yet Again ....... GRRRRRRRRRRRR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wetpants Strikes Yet Again ....... GRRRRRRRRRRRR 20180718_173801 - EletriciansForums.net
Thank you Mr. Wetpants. Not only have you stolen my wiring space by threading your radiator pipes through holes that were drilled for cables I was planning on installing on Friday morning, but you have installed hot-water pipes right on top of existing cables. I can't decide whether the ----wits who did this are plain stupid, just don't care, or even both.

There's going to be hell to pay for this transgression when the homeowner discovers what has happened here. :mad::mad::mad:

looks like a top notch job to me.

It was wetpants who notched the joist. Apparently, he needs to install another pair of plastic pipes in the same run so decided to notch the joist to accommodate them.

Agree, although for the life of me i can't get the perspective on that photo, it looks like a joist with a notch and 2 holes right below it? If that's true, even assuming this position is exactly 0.25 of the length of the joist, you're not allowed to notch and drill adjacently for obvious reasons

Some perspective and clarification: The boards were lifted by wetpants so he could fit new plastic pipework for the central heating system that he's installing. It was he who notched the joist, not I. What you see in the image has been repeated all along the entire run. The run is in the hall of an upper-level cottage flat.

The two 2.5 T&Es form part of the existing installation, but were not installed by me. The cables have been fed through 20mm holes. The holes are over 50mm from the top of the joist. I was planning on pushing two new 2.5 T&Es through the same holes that wetpants fed his pipes through, but obviously that won't be happening now.

Some perspective and clarification: The boards were lifted by wetpants so he could fit new plastic pipework for the central heating system that he's installing. It was he who notched the joist, not I. What you see in the image has been repeated all along the entire run. The run is in the hall of an upper-level cottage flat.

The two 2.5 T&Es form part of the existing installation, but were not installed by me. The cables have been fed through 20mm holes. The holes are over 50mm from the top of the joist. I was planning on pushing two new 2.5 T&Es through the same holes that wetpants fed his pipes through, but obviously that won't be happening now.

disagree with that last bit. get wet-pants back to shift his bloody pipes, then use the holes. quote the 25mm spacing recommended in the regs.

might be an idea to get the customer to complain to him and demand he alters it.

disagree with that last bit. get wet-pants back to shift his bloody pipes, then use the holes. quote the 25mm spacing recommended in the regs.

might be an idea to get the customer to complain to him and demand he alters it.
Yes quite right make the turkey rout his pipes in his own holes.

This is what I found when I went back to the job today. Words fail me.

Wetpants Strikes Yet Again ....... GRRRRRRRRRRRR wetpants - EletriciansForums.net

Not content with the acts of vandalism evidenced above, wetpants then goes and batters in a pipe clip perilously close to existing cables. The RCD hasn't tripped so despite his best efforts, it looks like the numbskull has avoided penetrating the cable.

Wetpants Strikes Yet Again ....... GRRRRRRRRRRRR wetpants 2 - EletriciansForums.net

If they were my joists, Someone would be replacing them!

That's criminal. Holes, notches all on top of each other on what are relatively small joists anyway. There is more hole than there is wood.

Is there no thought? No discussion?
No common sense? No knowledge?

This is just basic stuff, what is the world coming to?

Hello All,

I am sure that we would all agree if that pipework was done by a qualified Plumber or Heating Engineer they don`t deserve to be called a `Tradesman`.

During the years that `Plastic pipe` and fittings have been available I have come across many installations where the pipework has been `thrown in` like this by people who have no concept of `Professional courtesy` towards other Trades because they are NOT Professionals.

The introduction of the various `Plastic` systems has definitely `De-skilled` the Plumbing & Heating Industries and has enabled people who have only the very basic `DIY skills` to work installing Plumbing and Heating systems water pipework.

I am at the end of my working life now because of a severe Back problem and problems with both knees but during the last 52 years not only have I been proud of my workmanship on every job [using Copper tube] that I have done but I have also been proud to be able to say that I have respected and liaised with every other Tradesman / Contractor on site who`s work might be affected by mine [or affect mine] regarding things such as pipework routes / clearances etc.

Because I have always been so proactive regarding liaising with them I would be fairly sure that no other Tradesman / Contractor would ever have had any complaints about Me or my work interfering with theirs - not a bad record for 52 years of working in the Heating, Plumbing & Gas Industries.

As the Plumbers and Heating Engineers who use Copper tube are gradually retiring or `converting` to the flexible pipe systems / are installing `Plastic` systems as specified / supplied by their Employers there will be more and more of this `Throw it in` method of working because Plumbing and Heating water systems will be seen as very easy to install - qualified Tradesmen will not be needed !

Regards,

Chris

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with the systems being used. It's more about attitude. Too many people these days simply don't give a t0$$ about anyone or anything else as long as they get their bit done.

And this is a problem that is not just affecting trades. It's part of why I needed to get out of my previous career.

i don't trust plastics in anything except as an electrical insulation
any pipe (aside from conduit) work i have ever done has been either copper or iron, and I am damn fussy about it.
being skilled at it is an art thats being lost more and more every day.

The introduction of the various `Plastic` systems has definitely `De-skilled` the Plumbing & Heating Industries and has enabled people who have only the very basic `DIY skills` to work installing Plumbing and Heating systems water pipework.
Well its not just Electrical Trainee in the electrical sector, I was up north in Manchester recently for a wedding and one the ushers was doing a 6 week plumbing course, 1 1/2 weeks was spent on copper the rest was all plastic and push fit. paid for with your taxes as part of his military resettlement after 12 years in the military as a avionics technician. At the end he gets a couple of city and guilds certificates. He only did it as its free and he is doing his own house up so saves him the cash. Afterwards he is doing a 4 week electrical course to qualify as a domestic installer which even he saw the funny side of, again paid for by the MOD with your taxes.
So in the space of 3 months you can it appears become a plumber and electrician, give yourself an extra month you can be a bricklayer or plasterer too.

Reply to Wetpants Strikes Yet Again ....... GRRRRRRRRRRRR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock