Discuss What a mess, only supposed to add a couple of sockets too.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adding a couple of new sockets and wanted to get an idea of condition of installation before I went over. Client unsure if MCB's or fuses so I asked for a photo. Got this. First thing I noticed, don't know about you, was the supply tails "buried" in handy foam. Along with circuit cables if that's what the PVC's are. In my experience that stuff doesn't go well with cables so I'll be checking out the condition at the board first. Might be completely wrong and it's all ok, hope so.

The boards look relatively new, ask your client for a copy of the EIC that should have been issued and see what the Sparky said about the foam.

I thought they looked around 10-15 years old (as telectrix says, no RCD) so unlikely to be any installation report. The foam is clearly after the boards, probably to reduce draughts. Yes T, noticed the switched off heating boards, and it looks like the heating has been removed (blocked though tails).
Went to a 12 way MK grid dimmer switch system once which was tripping RCD. took the 3 faceplates off to look inside, same foam as this had been used by joiners to seal round the back box entry holes and had welded the cables together due to the heat I guess from the dimmer modules. It's not nice stuff and I suppose my concern is what's lurking behind these boards. Will find out soon enough.

thought it might have been industrial. 1 CU per shift.lights go off, it's home time.

change a 1G to 2G - is RCD protection necessary?

tin hat on
Well now, there's a question. If you are replacing a faulty twin and discover it's not RCD'd do you raise it? I probably would but not as in "it has to be done" more that they should look at upgrading at some point. As a personal protection benefit if nothing else.

Reply to What a mess, only supposed to add a couple of sockets too.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net