Discuss What am I responsible for - returning to a customer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have had my first customer call me back (messgae left) saying that something is not working as it should!

Its too late to ring him back but it sounds like the PIR is not working correctly on a flood light I installed perhaps 6 months ago.

Its bound to be a faulty PIR as it was a cheap PIR/floodlight from screwfix. Obviously I feel partly responsible as I sourced the product, although the customer did'nt want to go for an expensive one at the time.

Just wondering what you guys class yourself as responsible for and what you would charge for if anything?

Under 12 months, you installed and supplied, i think you are obliged to sort it out Im afraid. After 12 months not so sure.

if theyd supplied it then thats slightly different...

If it was customer sourced then charge accordingly, if you sourced it then you should have a mark-up originally on the price of the goods to cover the cost of the replacement time and labour wise, the wholesalers will usually replace the item free of charge.

Customer goodwill comes into it here, if you never marked the goods up in the first place, you have two choices, either bite the bullet and do a freebie, or try to come to some form of agreement where you can try a nominal charge (which may lead to a disagreement).

Depends on how much goodwill you want to generate.

Evening all..

I have had my first customer call me back (messgae left) saying that something is not working as it should!

Its too late to ring him back but it sounds like the PIR is not working correctly on a flood light I installed perhaps 6 months ago.

Its bound to be a faulty PIR as it was a cheap PIR/floodlight from screwfix. Obviously I feel partly responsible as I sourced the product, although the customer did'nt want to go for an expensive one at the time.

Just wondering what you guys class yourself as responsible for and what you would charge for if anything?

Lamp???

Thanks guys..

I generally put around a 20% mark up on parts to cover cost of sourcing etc.

My gutt tells me I cant really charge anything but I wondered what the normal procedure was and it looks like its my responsibilty... no charge! He was a decent customer and we got on well, plus he wants me to look at some other bits so all is not lost :)

I take it you don't have a written warranty on your invoice then ?

As others have said usually 12 months for parts you supplied.

For the future, if you know something is not going to last then refuse to supply it yourself, the customer looks to you for professional advice. If they insist on something advise against it in your professional capacity, if they still insist get them to source it.

If there's other stuff that could come your way then sometimes it's worth doing a cheapie/freebie but as you sourced the kit it's down to you anyway mate.
However, don't allow yourself to get talked into doing them, rely on your gut instinct, a few weeks back I did an eicr for a guy. We agreed £200 (yes, I know but there was a lot going on) so I presented the report which had a list of defects and a quote for putting them right (about £7-800 worth btw) he said that he thought he was getting them put right for the £200, a discussion ensued during which he dangled the carrot of a lot more work which because it didn't feel right I knocked back until he paid up, which he refused to do.
I walked off so that he'd have some time to cool off but I had to employ debt collectors to get the payment

I take it you don't have a written warranty on your invoice then ?

As others have said usually 12 months for parts you supplied.

For the future, if you know something is not going to last then refuse to supply it yourself, the customer looks to you for professional advice. If they insist on something advise against it in your professional capacity, if they still insist get them to source it.

No.. I shall get that remedied Spark68! I just have a fairly simple invoice booklet, although this is only my first year in business so I may push the boat out and get a fancy all singing and dancing invoice booklet next financial year!

This is a no brainer. Go replace it with a smile. I dont mind warranty jobs. They do your reputation no end of good. The best that can happen by charging the customer is you will get a few quid, the worst is they will slate you to all their friends (your potential customers) who wont use YOU when they need some electrical work done.

No one likes a warranty job but I dont mind them because there are lots of tradesmen who will turn up for work because they want to get paid, but wont go back because there is no money in it for them.

I replaced a broken bathroom pull cord switch 18 months after I installed it, the customer was expecting to have to pay but I told him not to worry as it should of lasted longer than that. 6 months later a friend of his gave me his rewire and afterwards he told me the big decision swinger for him was that he knew I would go back after being paid. The cost of replacing the pull cord was a couple of quid and a small amount of time on my way home.

As has been said, dont supply inferior materials. Inform the customer that you only fit quality materials but they are more expensive. Tell the customer that if he wants to supply materials that it is ok with you but if they fail it is chargeable to replace.

Just wait until you complete a board change and 6 months down the road the rcd starts tripping. Of course its your fault. The old board was fine for years with no such problems.
Here we go, a lesson in what and why its happening. And please don't use that old toaster again.
Now its decision time.
Do you charge for the visit ? Oh boy, I want a job in B&Q. Get me my orange apron.

I had to employ debt collectors to get the payment

Sod that. Raise a MCOL (artist formerly known as Small Claims Court) claim. Just be careful to follow the pre-action protocol, which is basically to make sure you write a Letter Before Action following the guidance in Appendix A of the Practice Direction for pre-action protocol (the MCOL website points you in the right direction). Straightforwardly state breach of contract as the relevant law. Make sure you show all the relevant elements of contract are present (your offer of X goods and services to be supplied in exchange for £Y, their unconditional acceptance of that offer, intention to form legally binding relations, and consideration [consideration here means you're going to supply goods and services which they're going to supply payment for - basically that the contract includes things of value are passing both ways]). State that you will be adding your court costs in with the amount claimed. Say that you are open to a means of resolving the dispute other than court however you will not budge on the amount owed (as long as what you are owed is indisputable). Many will pay when they realise from the Letter Before Action they're about to be taken to court. I know this all may sound a bit intimidating but once you've done it once you then have a template for every time you have to do it again ever.

Nick, there are far more effective and less time consuming ways of dealing with things like this. :)

That method is fine when dealing with a company who won't pay but some jumped up little squirt who thinks he can get away with screwing a tradesman? No mate

Evening all..

are you sure?

caus if its lies....

Reply to What am I responsible for - returning to a customer? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock