Discuss What aperwork required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking.....to move a consumer unit, not extending any circuit cables but replacing od supply tails with longer ones to reach new position, what testing paperwork is required?

I know it's hypothetical but how, if you need longer tails, are you going to get away with not altering the circuit cables?
To me they're either going to be longer or shorter, in either case you will have altered the installation.

But what if for example the current position off the consumer unit was at a high height and the new position was at a low height nearer the positions of the first points off the circuits if you know what I mean. Therefor all you would be doing is unscrewing the consumer unit, moving it to another position but replacing the tails?

But presumably the lighting cables would rise from the position of the old CU so if the new CU is lower they would have to be extended. You're then shortening any cables which drop from the old CU position.
Obviously altering the circuits slightly as the Zs would change. Admittedly by only a small amount but if we're talking hypotheses we can split hairs right? :)

But if you didnt have to shorten cables, your going back on them if you know what I mean. There would be a loop of excess cable but that could sit above in attic space. Basically someone I know is thinking about getting this done but if it's going to cost more money due to full installation testing etc they are just going to leave it.

Either way, you need to do an Electrical Installation Cert for all the circuits as you are changing the circuit characteristics by changing the protective devices

I don't think he is changing anything about the circuits or prot device, just wanting to install longer tails from the meter and putting some slack on the t&e's. Correct me if I've read it incorrectly.

I don't think he is changing anything about the circuits or prot device, just wanting to install longer tails from the meter and putting some slack on the t&e's. Correct me if I've read it incorrectly.

Yes your correct. At the most one circuit will need altered/extended to which it would be upgraded so that it is RCD protected.

Reply to What aperwork required? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net