Discuss what are some tools that were worth the price tag? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Always wondered about the Veto pro bags etc .Look great , but bloody expensive !
Exceptional quality. Wore one out after 7 or 8 years of hard life - still usable but rubber handle came apart and zip knackered.

It was getting too heavy esp with all the EICRs I do today not needed so much crap so decided to split toolboxes using a GT line atomic wheeled case as a one box test gear/light second fit and the veto as mostly 1st fit but its all ended up in the increasingly too heavy GT line now, sigh.

And there's another "didn't think I'd get so much use out of it tool" - angled impact driver.

Was an "is it an indulgence" tool as was upgrading the whole lot to Milwaukee 18v but having already selected the hole hawg joist driller thought the heads far too chunky for those tight-access jobs, and the proper right-angle drill I thought the head was still quite chunky, wheras the right angle impact has a tiny little headstock. In the short time I've had it there's been a dozen of those "jobs you could have fiddled and cursed and managed/mangled-like-a-plumber but were made easy and/or tidy", both drilling things and driving things, helps having the tiny little new armeg holesaws that use 1/4 drive too.

I think we should all follow @westward10 about protecting your eyes, ears, hands, and the rest of your body depending on what tools you are using and what situation you are in. For example, a simple hard-hat has saved me from some nasty gashes to the head from the nails holding slates on in an attic, etc.

But for the original discussion my most recent best-buy has been an impact driver:

I actually bought the FPP2A2-502X kit with that, a more conventional battery drill, charger, and two 5.0Ah batteries. But it really has been that driver along with the hex-shank drill bits that has been most useful by far.

A word of warning though: even on its minimum setting and making use of the variable-rate trigger it will easily chew up smaller screws, and a moment of carelessness with it set on mid-speed sheared a M6 roofing bolt on some cable tray I was assembling.

But only a complete muppet would use it on electrical terminals? Really?
Hi, when you say hex shank drill bits , what bits and task specifically ?

I got one recently but have barely used it since, apart from taking off the lawnmower blade

Hi, when you say hex shank drill bits , what bits and task specifically ?
This sort of thing:

The ease of swapping drill bits for pilot/clearance drilling and then to hex shank screwdriver bits for drilling in screws, etc, it really convenient. Also an excellent thing is the hex shank hole saw for conduit style fixing:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/armeg-acceler8-sheet-steel-holesaw-20mm/1009r

I also have a couple of hex-square drive adaptors so I can use 8mm / 10mm / 13mm sockets for smaller nuts/bolts or carriage screws. But you have to always be very aware the impact driver will trash smaller fasteners if you are not careful!

Does the impact work well with hss steel bits then ?
Yes, seems to. For lighter drilling (e.g. 3mm pilot, etc) it is just like your typical bettery drill (slightly less speed control via the trigger) but for bigger drill bits that will often jam a battery drill (or wrench your wrist if powerful) it starts hammering away and gets through quite effectively.

I have Bosch equipment, got the impact mostly for driving screws

I was curious about the charging state for storage as I've a few new ones left unused

The general advice seems to be to leave them at 50%

However the DeWalt site says to charge them fully if left unused for more than 6 months , so i reckon I'm ok

Reply to what are some tools that were worth the price tag? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net