Discuss What are these boxes in my garage for? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gfirak

DIY
Reaction score
House was built in 1959. These are located in the garage.

Attachments

• 20200421_143416.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200421_143421.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 20200421_143411.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200421_143418.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 158
House was built in 1959. These are located in the garage.
GFIRAK welcome to the forum and I agree that it looks like an OLD transformer with probably 120vac primary and who knows what the secondary voltage is. It does look like it would be low voltage lie 12vac or 24vac

or could be an isolation transformer for bench work.

My guess is a step down transformer for a workshop inspection lamp.
I opened up the top and now I'm more confused, never seen this before, see attached
GFIRAK welcome to the forum and I agree that it looks like an OLD transformer with probably 120vac primary and who knows what the secondary voltage is. It does look like it would be low voltage lie 12vac or 24vac
here are some more photos

Attachments

• 20200426_160855.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200426_160903.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200426_160855.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 67
That is showing the transformer windings that have been sealed in the tar-like substance, usually to keep moisture out. All of the wires will be on the other side (lower half's box).
[automerge]1587938255[/automerge]
It looks like you can remove the lower cover with just two screws either side of it. But switch off the power and even then treat any cables with great care in case they are live!

Last edited:
That is showing the transformer windings that have been sealed in the tar-like substance, usually to keep moisture out. All of the wires will be on the other side (lower half's box).
It looks like you can remove the lower cover with just two screws either side of it. But switch off the power and even then treat any cables with great care in case they are live!
It looks to me like the windings are burnt or fried

The "dripping tar" is going up the way, that must have been the case when it was in another position, probably manufacture. It looks horrible but I have seen sort of transformer sealing this before in some 1950s radios, etc. I suspect in that case it was to dampen vibration noise.

The "dripping tar" is going up the way, that must have been the case when it was in another position, probably manufacture. It looks horrible but I have seen sort of transformer sealing this before in some 1950s radios, etc. I suspect in that case it was to dampen vibration noise.
Well this is a 1959 house, and this is all original i suspect.

Reply to What are these boxes in my garage for? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net