Discuss What are your opinions on bonding water pipes if main incoming is plastic? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
You turn up to a property that had recently had an EICR, reporting that the water had no bonding.

The main water stop cock and on-wards was plastic push fits with maybe 400mm lengths here and there (downstairs), but upstairs is still all copper piping behind bath panel and sink pedestals to 2 bathrooms.

Do you test the pipe work that is copper back to the MET to see if it requires bonding or do you just bond a part of the installation with the most copper pipe showing (upstairs bathroom).

I want some opinions on the scenario as i'm just a sparkys mate and going to start my NVQ soon.

I would run 4mm earth to all pipes, metal window frames, metal sinks, door handles etc all clipped direct to the wall.
Tut tut did you check if it's pme, 10mm minimum for main bonding;)
Just bond it
I'd love to see the bonding clamp on the plastic pipe:p

To answer the original question , "no water bond" is nonsensical in this case, they should be complaining about specific extraneous parts that are not bonded. You could just test whatever you can find and write it down and charge for however long it takes.

Non electrician pennies worth here, I have seen a swimming pool water 'LIVE', Spanish electrician said that the plastic pipes were not conductive yet the sunken pool pump housing was filled with rainwater and NO earth, at least fit a metal gate valve on the incoming mains and bond that as a minimum. Yes I got a full belt off of this one and made me pass a lot of work on since to real sparks.

Non electrician pennies worth here, I have seen a swimming pool water 'LIVE', Spanish electrician said that the plastic pipes were not conductive yet the sunken pool pump housing was filled with rainwater and NO earth, at least fit a metal gate valve on the incoming mains and bond that as a minimum. Yes I got a full belt off of this one and made me pass a lot of work on since to real sparks.

So just earth the pump then? Like it should be.
Gate valves aren't suitable for mains.

Gate Valves
Industrial & HVAC Gate Valves >>

Various construction materials allowing them to be used in many applications including boilerhouse, steam, heating & air conditioning, water distribution & treatment, agricultural, compressed air, oils and gasses.
Marine Gate Valves >>
Particularly suited for marine applications such as ballast systems, oil cargo pumping systems and shipside duties. Some have type approvals by Lloyds, DNV, B.V, RINA, ABS, GL , and on request 3.1 and 3.2 certification is available.
Water Works Gate Valves >>
Suitable for water applications including potable water supply, waste water, sewage and fire main duties, many of which are WRAS (Water Regulations Advisory Scheme) approved, UL listed and FM approved.

As for the earthing, yes a good idea to earth the pump shame the electrician who installed it never thought of that. The point is that just because the pipes are plastic safe guarding against a short should be installed somewhere in contact with the water.

In your scenario the point of connection to earth was at the pump with the cpc, I wouldn't have thought putting a metal point in the incoming water main for earth bond would be much help for a swimming pool pump in totally plastic pipe.
But the OP gave the impression of a domestic environment.

Reply to What are your opinions on bonding water pipes if main incoming is plastic? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net