Discuss What backbox in Kingspan backed plasterboards. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
When walls are going to be dot and dabbed with the insulated plasterboard, what type of backbox is mostly used.

I was thinking of running my cables in as normal to position of sockets and switches, covering with capping/clipping to the masonary. Then if plasterer/builder bring the cable through and skim, then i'll cut out an fix in drylining boxes.

The kingspan boards have 50mm of insulation on them.

I clip direct and cap, through to a metal clad box, plugged and screwed direct whichever depth is best suited and then providing the dryliners are good, hey presto...

Thought abot fitting the backboxes after dot and dab as if they get fitted to the wall, when its time to fit sockets etc, the boxes will be 2 inches deep in the wall.

it sounds like a whole lot of messing around but you get a really good finish, well worth it,

Talk to your spreads or your gaffer to find out exactly where the walls are going, depths etc.
Fix knock out boxes straight to the wall, or on a bit of battening if the void is going to be deep.
Use 50s or 75s when it's time to 2nd fix, a nice long screw also gives you plenty of scope to level up.

OR

If your spreads are like the ones round 'ere i.e. shouldn't be let loose with a trowel - just accurately measure where your cables are, don't even bother asking them to help, when they're done cut your holes with your jab saw, fish out your cables with an old coat hanger and use dry liners.

EDIT: just realised I'm only replying as if the existing walls are being drylined to dress them. If they are new stud walls, try and get in when one side of plasterboard is on, but not the other, then repeat as above. Or, again, jab saw and dryline box.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 options here...
batton off a metal clad box - a peice of timber screwd to wall then your standard back box fitted to that
use a deeper back box- eg a cooker isolation backbox
use a drylining box- not so good with flat-plate sockets i've found though

Yeah agreed, option 1 or 2, always find dryliners look a bit crappy round the edges from side on.

Reply to What backbox in Kingspan backed plasterboards. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock