Discuss What cable do I use? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Wall mounting a TV and need to move the plug socket up 1 meter so it's behind the TV.

I thought rather than replace the plug socket and have to fill in the hole and match paint I would just leave it where it is and run a cable behind the plasterboard from the current socket to the new one which will be directly above it.

I am pretty handy with electrics having done a few DIY jobs but was just wondering what cable I need to use and if there is anything else I should eb aware of?

Thanks

Also make sure the circuit you are adding to has RCD protection.

Another make sure:

the cable that feeds the existing socket may well run down the wall. This means that the cable could be used to power your new socket.
it also means that the cable is at risk of damage when you bolt the TV to the wall, or dig out a hole for a back box.
Make sure you don’t damage the cable!

Make sure the socket is not already a spur.
Thanks for the reply DPG. How would I find this out? Just to add, the original socket would be hidden behind a book case and never used. Does that make a difference?
[automerge]1576253030[/automerge]
Also make sure the circuit you are adding to has RCD protection.
Thanks. It is part of a recent extension so new fuseboard with RCD.
[automerge]1576253047[/automerge]
Another make sure:

the cable that feeds the existing socket may well run down the wall. This means that the cable could be used to power your new socket.
it also means that the cable is at risk of damage when you bolt the TV to the wall, or dig out a hole for a back box.
Make sure you don’t damage the cable!
Solid advice thanks

if this is in a ground floor room, chance is that the cable/s to the existing socket come down from the ceiling/bedroom floor level. if so, they could be located and dug out for new socket and dispense with the existing one. they should be directly above the socket, within the width of it, just where kitchen fitters like to drill.

Ask the spark that wired the extension if they can remember the cable routing and arrangement ie ring , radial or spur? If it happens to be a

Ask the spark that wired the extension if they can remember the cable routing and arrangement ie ring , radial or spur? If it happens to be a

Are you ok @FatAlan or did you just fall asleep??

Reply to What cable do I use? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock