Discuss what cable for sky or cable? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Limara

Hi I am renovating a bungalow and have now got a extension shell am now getting the wiring done and have realised its going to be a good idea to get something in for future use before the plastering is done.
can any one advise what cables I need to get I currently have freeview and will initially be using that but in future I have no idea if we are having just freesat, or cable sky would be the last choice, but we may be forced to it by location. Locally I am getting a few conflicting ideas
I would like to get the cables in behind the plaster and then leave it in the loft ready for future connection.

if you bury some plastic oval tube in the plaster from TV point to attic, theread a draw wire in before plastering, then you can pull in whatever you need at a later date

If you are going to use sky you will need two CT100 from the sat dish position to you sky box, from there take one CT100 to roof distribution amp position, then from there one CT100 to each room TV, you will also need a normal coax from your TV aerial to your sky box as well, also don't forget you will need a telephone cable to the sky box as well and it wont hurt to also have a patch cable from your internet hub in case you have a new TV that requires one

cable does not need to be ct100 that's just the name from one manufacturer other cable will be ok as long as it is to the same standard of cable.
while at sky i was a trainer and to prove a point we took a full 250m drum of cable and hit it with a hammer all the way down the length to cause as many signal reflections as possible and it still brought the same quality of signal as shorter ct100 runs of cable, so you can use any coax cable really.

RG6 coax will probably suffice internally and use pure copper cat6 (tons of it!) and not copper clad stuff. Everything will be over ethernet soon - like it already isnt lol! Its a penny mile is the stuff. I pull as an absolute minimum 2 data and 2 coax to every room - often 1 of each at each end of room depending

Reply to what cable for sky or cable? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net