Discuss What cable is required for Nest HeatLink? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

York23

DIY
Reaction score
What cable do I need to connect a Nest HeatLink to my boiler (Ideal Mexico)? A description would be useful, a link to an actual sales site even better. Nest customer service seemingly are unable to answer this question. Although they provide instructions in diagrammatic form for DIY installation, any question on installation and they can only advise to get it professionally installed. It's as if they do not understand their own product.

At a guess I would go some 2.5mm 5 core. each core being used for each function;

240v supply
240v neutral
earth - not used in heatlink
boiler call
boiler return

Something better suited to smart home control may be better suited to give you advice and again, dare I say it; ask on plumbersforums.net as wetpants tend to do a lot more (based on assumption that they are in the perfect spot to upsell while looking at the boiler every year) NEST et all installations as upsells.

At a guess I would go some 2.5mm 5 core. each core being used for each function;

240v supply
240v neutral
earth - not used in heatlink
boiler call
boiler return

Something better suited to smart home control may be better suited to give you advice and again, dare I say it; ask on plumbersforums.net as wetpants tend to do a lot more (based on assumption that they are in the perfect spot to upsell while looking at the boiler every year) NEST et all installations as upsells.
Thank you. Would this need to be Heat resistant cable or just 'normal'?

2.5mm seems a little overkill.
1.0 would probably be ok.

I’ll check the instructions myself

Edit.
Just looked at the wiring diagrams, and it appears there are 12 (?) terminals in the heat link. A single 5 core won’t cut it.
Maybe someone that has actually fitted one can confirm?

Last edited:
2.5mm seems a little overkill.
1.0 would probably be ok.

I’ll check the instructions myself

Edit.
Just looked at the wiring diagrams, and it appears there are 12 (?) terminals in the heat link. A single 5 core won’t cut it.
Maybe someone that has actually fitted one can confirm?

The instructions don't specify, otherwise i would not have asked the question. 12 terminals but only four are used - that bit is in the instructions.

Do we have anyone here that has actually fitted a Heatlink, Hive Receiver or similar?
Ask the same question on plumbers forum.net, you may get a better chance of a reply given most (unless it's changed) British Gas engineers deal with Hive as upgrade options for customers

Reply to What cable is required for Nest HeatLink? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net