Discuss What cable size and breaker would I need for two extractor fans in a public toilet? 1.5mm 3 core and a 20amp rcbo? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What size cable for 2 extractor fans in a public toilet?
One with a current carrying capacity greater than or equal to the rating of the breaker, with low enough impedance to ensure disconnection times are met and voltage drop is not too high, and greater than or equal to the load, which in turn should be less than or equal to the rating of the breaker.

Of a type suitable for the conditions where installed.

One with a current carrying capacity greater than or equal to the rating of the breaker, with low enough impedance to ensure disconnection times are met and voltage drop is not too high, and greater than or equal to the load, which in turn should be less than or equal to the rating of the breaker.

Of a type suitable for the conditions where installed.
Technically correct but somewhat unhelpful

What size cable for 2 extractor fans in a public toilet?
Be careful mate. This is a public environment where literally anyone can come into contact with this work, and your neck is on the line as the bloke that installed it.
In the nicest way possible, if you need to ask this you shouldn't put yourself in the firing line.

Be careful mate. This is a public environment where literally anyone can come into contact with this work, and your neck is on the line as the bloke that installed it.
In the nicest way possible, if you need to ask this you shouldn't put yourself in the firing line.
Thanks mate, I was just asking as someone’s done it and debating if they had installed the correct cable?

Thanks mate, I was just asking as someone’s done it and debating if they had installed the correct cable?
That wasn't very clear from the question!
So you are saying it's currently 20 amp RCBO with 1.5mm 3 core.
Are there any fused isolators for the fans or are they connected directly?

Total circuit load in amps?
Most domestic fan manufacturers require a 3amp inline fuse for their extractors and its normal to have a three pole isolation switch, one assumes this is in a work environment, therefore industrial/commercial?

At the moment my only answer is that no installation method of 3 core flat PVC 1.5mm cable is rated for 20 amps. I was wondering if there were FCU's by the fans and that overload protection was provided that way.
It's likely the RCBO is oversized but can't be sure without knowing more about the fans who knows.
If the OP has a clamp meter it would be interesting to know the current draw with both fans on.

Strictly speaking method C is 19.5 amps. But we won't haggle over 0.5 of an amp. In fact running a 1.5mm directly to the 2 fans is also perfectly safe on a 20amp rcbo. But is it conventional, good practice or advisable? No

Is it not 17.5 amps for a 3 core or am I losing plot again?!

Table 4D2A:

What cable size and breaker would I need for two extractor fans in a public toilet? 1.5mm 3 core and a 20amp rcbo? 1617917633879 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I was wondering if there were FCU's by the fans and that overload protection was provided that way.
If the rcbo feeds the fans directly than they can be treated like any "End of line" appliance and overload protection omitted. Short circuit protection only required and the 20 amp RCBO covers that
It's likely the RCBO is oversized but can't be sure without knowing more about the fans who knows.
It would be oversized if the 1.5mm was connected to a circuit where the loading can't be controlled directly, like a socket circuit socket
If the OP has a clamp meter it would be interesting to know the current draw with both fans on.
In principle that's not an issue. Both fans won't take more than an amp or 2.Well under the capacity of the cable and the rcbo. The issue is, is the cable going to be protected properly under overload and short circuit conditions. It is Interesting how unconventional situations (like the OP, s) force us to look at a situation that we all know is instinctively wrong but can't immediately explain why (talking about myself here). Then we end up "going back to the drawing board" and having to figure out again.. "Why is this wrong?". Good exercise though!!

Reply to What cable size and breaker would I need for two extractor fans in a public toilet? 1.5mm 3 core and a 20amp rcbo? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock