Discuss What cabling system do you prefer in commercial/industrial environment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Trying to make my mind up as to the best/easiest wiring system for going behind a large partition wall (around 1 ft partition depth) for a large spray booth. For around 50 light fittings wall mounted.

Thinking of conduit and singles, with flex coming out of Clik connectors for each light fitting.

However it would be hell of a lot quicker to bang some tray on the external wall (inside the partition), and whack some cable in, however then the question is what cable...
Twin/Earth - Not a fan in commercial. However i do see a lot in suspended ceilings.
SWA - Over the Top, and time consuming and expensive.
Flex - i know its not meant for fixed wiring, however it would work well, and its never going to get damaged there.
YY - Again not designed for fixed wiring.

So just wondering what wiring systems you guys prefer in commercial/industrial environments where cables are well protected from damage. (i.e. above suspended ceilings etc)

Trying to make my mind up as to the best/easiest wiring system for going behind a large partition wall (around 1 ft partition depth) for a large spray booth. For around 50 light fittings wall mounted.

Thinking of conduit and singles, with flex coming out of Clik connectors for each light fitting.

However it would be hell of a lot quicker to bang some tray on the external wall (inside the partition), and whack some cable in, however then the question is what cable...
Twin/Earth - Not a fan in commercial. However i do see a lot in suspended ceilings.
SWA - Over the Top, and time consuming and expensive.
Flex - i know its not meant for fixed wiring, however it would work well, and its never going to get damaged there.
YY - Again not designed for fixed wiring.

So just wondering what wiring systems you guys prefer in commercial/industrial environments where cables are well protected from damage. (i.e. above suspended ceilings etc)
If it's spray booth -Matt, shouldn't you be taking into account the explosive atmosphere that is created within a spray booth, and use the appropriate type of wiring system, ie intrinsically safe fittings etc? just saying.

Proper spray booths originally had the fluorescent fittings behind sealed glass units.

You removed a panel outside to access for maintenance.

I’d imagine you’d need to use vapourproof fittings at a minimum for such a room.

All the wiring will be behind the stud wall inside the partition, then the light fittings themselves inside a recess with sealed glass on top,
So both the light fittings and wiring are sealed from the actual spray area.
As far as I'm aware the wiring behind the stud wall does not need any specific measures?

All the wiring will be behind the stud wall inside the partition, then the light fittings themselves inside a recess with sealed glass on top,
So both the light fittings and wiring are sealed from the actual spray area.
As far as I'm aware the wiring behind the stud wall does not need any specific measures?
You might need to read up on spray booth electrical installations Mate
Winposh Two is a part of our luxury line of car spray booths. | Industrial Paint Booth Systems,Automotive Paint Equipment,Wood Paint Booth - https://www.yokistarspraybooth.com/automotive-spray-booth/winposh-two-spray-booth/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6OG4dnv3AIV7ZTtCh2u8gr4EAAYASAAEgLjU_D_BwE
Or contact your scheme helpline, as if that will be of any help.

have fun installing those lights, the static build up when you tear the film off the reflector will sting you , tap a spanner on it to dissipate it

is the wall a fire barrier? if the void is completely sealed from booth then running swa would be the option, probably still going to need explosive atmosphere glands on each fitting since they are in the area of risk

dont take that as gospel though as its just what seemed to be the case , i havent done the course but the switch rooms adjacent to the whisky storage shed was completely sealed with fire barriers, we used normal glands in the switch room area

If its a row of flurry's cant you run a basket above the ceiling and just use twin and skin. If its just lighting you could run a 25mm plastic conduit and mount to the slab. Id use Hager Klik roses for final connections as its makes testing and maintenance a doddle.

Reply to What cabling system do you prefer in commercial/industrial environment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net