Discuss What can be used to stop back flow of current? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My friend has a garage door that when opens turns on a floodlight.

He know wants it to turn on another light in the garage as well as the floodlight.

The problem is this garage light is already on a plate switch, if the garage light was simply connected to the control panel then the plate switch would then operate the flood light as well, this needs to be avoided. (see pic below)

Does anyone have a simple solution? Is there anyway to allow the line current only to flow from the panel and stop the back flow of current to the panel from the plate switch?

What can be used to stop back flow of current? gara - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
use a relay. energise with the plate switch, use 1 piair of contacts N/O to switch gaage light. at same time use a pair of N/C to isolate floodlight from switch.

Contactor.
I was just about to add, can I use a contactor or relay! However, having just dealt with domestic electrics I am unsure how these work or would be connected into the circuit. If anyone could expand a little that would be great, thanks.

230V coil relay. energise with switch.pick a set of contacts.feed to common, N/Oto garage light, N/C tobreak switch feed to flood.

I think a diagram may be needed..... RICHARD!! :D

If the plate switch isn't being used as 2 way you can use that.

Connect the light to Common,
Feed from the control panel to L1
Permanent feed to L2
Snowhead! That is so simple yet effective. Many thanks :)
Ps.. It is being used as 2 way (I was just lazy in my drawing), however he never uses the other switch so I can just eliminate it.

NOOOOO! Not this again! Is this the same door or another one?
If the light supply and door opener supply are on different circuits you can't do this as it ties the two circuits together. Even if on the same circuit, the door opener cannot be isolated using its means of isolation; the neutral remains connected and the line is disconnected only by a functional switch. You must use a relay.

Reply to What can be used to stop back flow of current? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock