Discuss What certificate does my garage need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've added some extra circuits to my garage fuse board and I've tested it etc. and filled in a schedule of test results. Is that all that is needed? or do I need to treat it like a full installation and fill out the generic 7 page certificate, treating the supply from the house as the "mains" and then the garage is installation being certified?

I'm slowly getting back into my domestic work having been in electrical maintenance for the past 7 years so please go easy on my lack of confidence with certification....

A schedule of test results is part of a certificate but does not form a certificate on its own.
To certify new work like this you need to compete an electrical installation certificate and attach as many schedules of test results as are necessary to record all circuits and DBs worked on.

Strictly speaking, new circuits require the full electrical installation certificate. It doesn't matter that the garage is a sub main from the house supply. In fact, items like EFLI are especially relavent.

Also, any new circuit should be notified to the local authority. If you are not a paid up member of one of the CPS (NICEIC, NAPIT, etc) then you should have raised a building notice with the LABC and paid their fee BEFORE any work was carried out.

A schedule of test results is part of a certificate but does not form a certificate on its own.
To certify new work like this you need to compete an electrical installation certificate and attach as many schedules of test results as are necessary to record all circuits and DBs worked on.
Thanks for reply,

So I need to complete a new electrical installation certificate and then the schedule of test results would be the garage DB as this is the one i've added circuits too. Seeing as the garage is fed from the house DB, does the main supply become the MCB feeding the submain for garage or does the certificate just need filling out the generic way treating the DNO as main supply?
[automerge]1583019385[/automerge]
Strictly speaking, new circuits require the full electrical installation certificate. It doesn't matter that the garage is a sub main from the house supply. In fact, items like EFLI are especially relavent.

Also, any new circuit should be notified to the local authority. If you are not a paid up member of one of the CPS (NICEIC, NAPIT, etc) then you should have raised a building notice with the LABC and paid their fee BEFORE any work was carried out.
Its my house

Its my house
So what? The requirements for notification are the same if you are providing a new circuit for a customer or for yourself.
You could ignore the requirements of the approved document to Part P.
The Part P police aren't going to swoop a drone over your garden and peek in the garage window, but if you come to sell the house, a buyer's solicitor may well ask for notification of any relevant electrical work done.

So what? The requirements for notification are the same if you are providing a new circuit for a customer or for yourself.
The Part P police aren't going to swoop a drone over your garden and peek in the garage window, but if you come to sell the house, a buyer's solicitor may well ask for notification of any relevant electrical work done.
Yes that is true and i'm planning on becoming NICEIC domestic installer in the not to distant future so will make sure its handled properly at the relevant time. Like I said, I've been stuck in electrical maintenance for the past 7 years and I'm slowly building up my domestic knowledge again so have made a start in my own garage. I want to fill out a certificate as an exercise really so if you would be so kind as to help with my questions then it would be appreciated.

Thanks for reply,

So I need to complete a new electrical installation certificate and then the schedule of test results would be the garage DB as this is the one i've added circuits too. Seeing as the garage is fed from the house DB, does the main supply become the MCB feeding the submain for garage or does the certificate just need filling out the generic way treating the DNO as main supply?

Its my house

The DNO supply would be recorded as the incoming supply details.
I would also record the submain which feeds the garage within the schedules of test results to give a compete picture of the installation and to prove compliance.

Being your house is irrelevant, part P still applies and you will have trouble as a result of not notifying this when you or anyone inheriting the house on your death trys to sell it.

Thanks for reply,

DNO's is the supply detail required. The list of circuits and results would then include you're garage CU supply in the 'details of supply' to that particular unit. (To be completed only if not connected directly to origin of installation).

Just to add, when I was doing domestic and using Certsure software in a similar scenario, the software would generate one set of test results etc for the ocpd & distribution circuit, then another for the (garage) DB. Unless thats wot the other chaps are saying.

Just tick the 'NO' box

Just tick the 'NO' box
I shouldn't laugh but
giphy.gif

Perhaps we should request a new:

"I am going to say no additions or alterations, but those bits I definitely haven't done, are in the new wiring colours to make it obvious I haven't done anything"

type question!

Yes that is true and i'm planning on becoming NICEIC domestic installer in the not to distant future so will make sure its handled properly at the relevant time. Like I said, I've been stuck in electrical maintenance for the past 7 years and I'm slowly building up my domestic knowledge again so have made a start in my own garage. I want to fill out a certificate as an exercise really so if you would be so kind as to help with my questions then it would be appreciated.

Technically, you need to notify the works within 30 days of completion of the said works.

Not really a good start to you becoming a Domestic Installer if your not going to do things to regs
To be fair to the OP he has stated
i'm planning on becoming NICEIC domestic installer in the not to distant future so will make sure its handled properly at the relevant time.
So, he has to provide at least one installation as part of his elevation to DI. Like many, he has to sit on one for a while and notify proper once you are in the club. I’m happy with that approach.

Reply to What certificate does my garage need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net