Discuss What Code for this one? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What Code for this one? 20191216_153947[1] - EletriciansForums.net

That termination looks well dodgy to me even by African standards. Isn't that screw supposed to be just for holding the brass terminal to the bakealite plate? Also looks like the wire has had a haircut to allow it to get it in there.

Are you sure? looks like waxed cotton outer maybe VIR inside it? Not quite the black VIR I am sometimes confronted with. Having come across that type of cable before if you poke it around (not live of course!) it seems to break apart like some waxed inner core of something but it does not seem like VIR.

Yes that is VIR singles which does have a woven cotton outer layer.
VIR cables were made by coating the conductor with rubber with a cotton or other binder in it which was then vulcanised as a whole.

I think these terminals have a slot in the top for a stripped section of ring conductor to slot into without being cut that is then clamped with the larger screw. A separate drilling is provided for the tap conductor, clamped with the smaller screw. The terminal is mounted to the paxolin using countersunk screws from the back tapped into the brass, with their heads insulated from the trunking by another sheet of paxolin at the back. I agree that there might be a strand or two missing from the end of this particular tap cable.

What we normally call VIR singles are actually VIR-insulated, braided and compounded overall. The cotton braid serving protects the rubber from cuts and scrapes, while the compound impregnation stops the cotton absorbing water and preserves it. Plain VIR cable with no serving was not normally used as an installation cable so the term VIR became synonymous with an insulated and served cable.

I wonder what the original reasoning for those terminations were. Were they test points for phase rotation maybe?? Or tapping point (would not think so)?

As per the OP it is a 100A ring circuit, which suggests that it is a distribution circuit designed to allow easy connection/disconnection/alteration of what is being fed. So these terminals will B ethe tap off points.
These days we would install a busbar trunking for something like this.
[automerge]1578593917[/automerge]
So this circuit is one of those rare occasions that the term 'ring main' can be correctly used to describe an LV circuit.

that should be covered in the risk assessment and safe system of work for working in (or near to) the trunking.

Would interesting to know if all conductors were isolated before the lid was removed for the initial inspection.
Agree with much of the above. Opinion varies about how dead the contents of a trunking should be before removing the lid; we all know that it's sometimes difficult to achieve or prove. However if special attention is called to this in the O&M, and the SSOW specifically states it must be proven isolated before the trunking lid is opened, the hazard is mitigated. A sticker at one fastener on each lid length that conceals terminals could help call attention to the setup for those who don't read the RAMS.

It's VIR, which is mostly rubber!
On doing the initial EICR the trunking lid wasn't removed, one of the limitations. Only had a look inside when trying to investigate the distribution method to fuse-boards. put the lid back on sharpish. The final circuits are also poor- borrowed neutrals no earths to luminaires etc etc. Have agreed a plan with client to do away with this and start again.

Reply to What Code for this one? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock