Discuss what coding would you give in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Outside walls with IP23 lights that even a short person like me can touch. (sign lights)
What coding would you give? I would be tempted with a C2 but these are recently fitted lights by a professional design company on the outside of a public use building, they couldn't of made such an error could they?
Makes me doubt myself sometimes.

Equipment not chosen for IP suitability? Or however it’s worded.
Akin to a simple lampholder in a bathroom where it should be a sealed fitting.

C3 for improvement. C2 if they’re starting to decay badly already. (Photos)

It's long been my opinion that the IP rating system regarding water ingress is far from suitable for the UK. It totally fails to take into account the typical UK sideways misty rain that effectively manages to fall upwards.

I’m still fighting over a roof on my extension that “only leaks when it’s raining and windy”

That’s some IP rating!

Wasn’t noticed until 4 months after completion, then has leaked at least once a year.
All those storms in the past 6 months hasn’t helped, and the roofer is blanking my calls

I would be tempted with a C2 but these are recently fitted lights by a professional design company on the outside of a public use building, they couldn't of made such an error could they?
Makes me doubt myself sometimes.
Anyone can make mistakes, in the world of engineering some huge blunders have been made by experts.
However it quite often involves a string of small errors, like design changes, where no-one stands back and re looks at the whole project.

Maybe the designers specced the light without checking the I.P and the installers said if that's what they want, that's what we'll fit.

Are you certain they are IP23?

Anyone can make mistakes, in the world of engineering some huge blunders have been made by experts.
However it quite often involves a string of small errors, like design changes, where no-one stands back and re looks at the whole project.

Maybe the designers specced the light without checking the I.P and the installers said if that's what they want, that's what we'll fit.

Are you certain they are IP23?
They still have the sticker saying IP23 on them

See this is where I'm conflicted, to me the IP ratings suggest that 23 would not be suitable for long term outdoor use (in this climate), but the manufacturers have seemingly designed this as an outdoor light.

and yet later today went to fit some IP 45 lights in a soffit and got this:
1653513242155.png

Reply to what coding would you give in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net