Discuss What constitutes a new circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm not sure an EIC is necessary for a like for like MCB change.
However, if you're changing the characteristics of the circuit, by using a differently rated MCB and/or adding RCD protection, then yes probably do an EIC.

A new circuit is what it says it is - a new cable connected to the origin to a new protective device, supplying new electrical equipment. Based on the definition of a circuit in Part 2 of the regs.

A new circuit is everything has to be ‘brand new’ , new mcb / rcbo , new cabling , new accessories or switchgear etc

anything else is a modification / alterations

I should add if you even used 1m of the old cabling , then it’s not a new circuit imo

absolutely everything has to be brand new out the box

I should add if you even used 1m of the old cabling , then it’s not a new circuit imo

absolutely everything has to be brand new out the box
The issue i have is, im changing scheme providers, and they want me to test new circuits I've installed. One of the issues i have is, i literally focus on eicrs, and mainly do fault finding and replacing or altering existing circuits. Rarely go near rewires. Sometimes i do new circuits to the gardens, or something outdoor but have done none since covid and only focused on essential works.

The issue i have is, im changing scheme providers, and they want me to test new circuits I've installed. One of the issues i have is, i literally focus on eicrs, and mainly do fault finding and replacing or altering existing circuits. Rarely go near rewires. Sometimes i do new circuits to the gardens, or something outdoor but have done none since covid and only focused on essential works.
Which scheme are you going to?

I have just moved to them too. I'm assuming your question is about the initial assessment with them?
I know exactly what it says the initial assessment will entail and why you are concerned as I was a bit too.
But reality wasn't like that.
You'll get a phone call from the assessor in advance, and they are very aware of the limitations that covid had caused.
In my case I had a CU change I could show him, and he only wanted to see me do a ZDB and PSCC test.
For the first assessment they are more bothered about seeing insurance, calibration certificate of MFT, and evidence of qualifications you told them you have.
I'd say you are probably worrying a bit too much, they are human and want your money!

This thread might be worth a read as I describe my NAPIT assessment in it.

I have just moved to them too. I'm assuming your question is about the initial assessment with them?
I know exactly what it says the initial assessment will entail and why you are concerned as I was a bit too.
But reality wasn't like that.
You'll get a phone call from the assessor in advance, and they are very aware of the limitations that covid had caused.
In my case I had a CU change I could show him, and he only wanted to see me do a ZDB and PSCC test.
For the first assessment they are more bothered about seeing insurance, calibration certificate of MFT, and evidence of qualifications you told them you have.
I'd say you are probably worrying a bit too much, they are human and want your money!
Yes that's exactly what im worried about.
I need to put more garden sockets in, and im probably gonna use my radial to do that as an extension, and do a fcu spur of another circuit for some lighting im gonna put in aswell.
But they're pretty much getting used of existing circuits. Hopefully its sufficient.

A new circuit is everything has to be ‘brand new’ , new mcb / rcbo , new cabling , new accessories or switchgear etc

anything else is a modification / alterations
So in your opinion swapping a faulty 1cway switch is a new circuit then? or am I reading your reply incorrectly?

Not my area but...I assume the whole point of assessing a "new circuit" is to cover the key aspects:
  • Design - assessment of requirements, resulting choice of cable, MCB/RCBO, any special area rules. Can you show these?
  • Implementation - quality of work and attention to detail in CU, cable route, and accessory.
  • Testing - evidence that it was adequately tested to verify design assumptions (R1+R2, Zs, etc) as well as any implementation or component faults (IR check, polarity, etc)
Even some trivial or manufactured project work that allows all to be demonstrated should be enough in my mind.

Reply to What constitutes a new circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock