Discuss What Courses Should I Take? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Safeman

Hi there,

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but i need some help.

I have no electrical experience or qualifications yet i have this desire to learn about and to be able to install Solar PV (possibly even solar thermal at a later date). Now i have looked around and there are several websites offering what they say is all you need in order to make a start in this profession. The general consensus is that i would need to learn about electrics first and learn and pass the 17th edition, Building regs & inspection/testing etc before i went on to do PV.

Now, in order to see if these qualifications that are offered on the course are what employers are really after, i emailed 5 or 6 different solar firms asking them what is sought after when taking on new people. The trouble is, not one has bothered to get back to me. It is for this reason i am here now looking for advice.

Can any one tell me if these intensive courses are any good or if they are worth doing and what i should do in order to achieve my goal? I recall speaking to an electrician a while ago who reckoned these courses were a waste of time and money and that it was experience which was the only thing that was worth anything.

Is solar PV the thing to learn or is there another renewable worth getting into?

Any other advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Safeman.

You need an apprenticeship first with day release from a local college. Learn on the job took me 5 years. The intensive courses will be to much to take it in one go. Start small work your way to the top

The problem is mate that i'm not exactly of college age any more and a long term course is just not viable due to work commitments/time/money etc.

Intensive courses are the route i would have to go down. What courses/qualifications are desirable and what route to go down on the other hand is why i'm here.

Thanks for your input though.

More importantly what kind of role do you want to take?
Sole trader working in renewables?
Electrician working in renewables?
Running your own Renewable Energy Installation business?

Where do you want to be 5 years from now?

What existing qualifications have you got and what existing experience do you have that you think would help you succeed in this area?

What IS your goal?

More importantly what kind of role do you want to take?
Sole trader working in renewables?
Electrician working in renewables?
Running your own Renewable Energy Installation business?

Where do you want to be 5 years from now?

What existing qualifications have you got and what existing experience do you have that you think would help you succeed in this area?

What IS your goal?

I would like to learn and get into installing renewable's and Solar PV is where i would like to begin. Electrician's qualifications are required (as far as i am aware) in order to do a solar PV course. Having my own renewable installation business in the future may be something to look into but i have a lot to learn first and thoughts of that would be way down the line.

5 years from now? I would like to be employed by a solar installation firm and be a competent installer within one to two years time. Preferably sooner if it's possible.

I have qualifications but none that really relate to renewable's. The closest i can get in relation to that is i did do electronic engineering at college but that was a long time ago.

My local college does a one-day a week 17th Edition course (1 year long). It will be cheaper than an intensive course and you will have access to the tutors. They may even do evening courses.

Good luck by the way.

Get some basic electrical qualifications under your belt
The 17th edition course if it's only a week long will be paper based, and unless your got a couple of years of practical experience you are unlikely to pass it, at a week long it's really a revision course.

City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3
If you are looking to train as an electrician installing in Commercial, Industrial, Agricultural and Domestic locations, the City & Guilds 2365 course is for you. This is now the default qualification for the traditional route to becoming an electrician whether or not you’re employed by an electrical contractor or not. The level 2 & 3 2365 Courses replace the former very successful City & Guilds 2330. This is the most comprehensive electrician course available and as such most people will use the skills learnt on this course to go on and find employment either during or after they complete their training. At this point they will usually complete an NVQ and AM2.

Or you could do these:
City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations
City & Guilds 2382-12 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments)
City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course

Consider also 2357 Electro Technical Technology qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds

Then do the C&G 2399
Level 3 qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds

You would be best going to a college rather than home study (Home study has a great sales record and a poor achievement record <10% )

I'd think that something like 17th edition, one of the 5 day part P courses and fundamentals of inspection and testing, then the solar PV course.

then approach solar companies for experience as an electricians mate / trainee panel installer, and you'll have to be prepared to work for a bit above minimum wage for the first few months until you actually start to know what you're doing.

we do a quarterly wage rise for trainees, so we'd start you on a low wage, then that'd increase by eg 50p an hour per quarter as you gain experience, through the first year.

Thing is that there are loads of relatively experienced solar panel installers / sparks out there, so you'll be unlikely to get significantly above minimum wage for at least a year after finishing the short training. If you can cope with that, and this is a long term career move, then fair enough, but it's not going to be an easy route for someone in their 30s.

Gavin has hit the nail on the head here, there are now 100's of sparks out there that have walked away from PV, and others are trying to survive, you are not even an electrician yet.

I have to be honest here, it is like walking into a job center and asking for a job on the Titanic.

of course, if you like politics, every changing rules, loads of paperwork, and you want to trade at a loss then go for it..

Get some basic electrical qualifications under your belt
The 17th edition course if it's only a week long will be paper based, and unless your got a couple of years of practical experience you are unlikely to pass it, at a week long it's really a revision course.

City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3
If you are looking to train as an electrician installing in Commercial, Industrial, Agricultural and Domestic locations, the City & Guilds 2365 course is for you. This is now the default qualification for the traditional route to becoming an electrician whether or not you’re employed by an electrical contractor or not. The level 2 & 3 2365 Courses replace the former very successful City & Guilds 2330. This is the most comprehensive electrician course available and as such most people will use the skills learnt on this course to go on and find employment either during or after they complete their training. At this point they will usually complete an NVQ and AM2.

Or you could do these:
City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations
City & Guilds 2382-12 – 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (Including latest amendments)
City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course

Consider also 2357 Electro Technical Technology qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds

Then do the C&G 2399
Level 3 qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds

You would be best going to a college rather than home study (Home study has a great sales record and a poor achievement record <10% )

Many of the courses you have mentioned seem to be available for intensive study via training centres which also offer practical experience. Thanks for your input, i'll take it on board.

I'd think that something like 17th edition, one of the 5 day part P courses and fundamentals of inspection and testing, then the solar PV course.

then approach solar companies for experience as an electricians mate / trainee panel installer, and you'll have to be prepared to work for a bit above minimum wage for the first few months until you actually start to know what you're doing.

we do a quarterly wage rise for trainees, so we'd start you on a low wage, then that'd increase by eg 50p an hour per quarter as you gain experience, through the first year.

Thing is that there are loads of relatively experienced solar panel installers / sparks out there, so you'll be unlikely to get significantly above minimum wage for at least a year after finishing the short training. If you can cope with that, and this is a long term career move, then fair enough, but it's not going to be an easy route for someone in their 30s.

Yes i see what you mean about their being lots of experienced engineers out their and this would be a long term career move for me. I like the appeal of renewables and in theory, there will potentially be lots of work for installers in the future (strongly emphasising the "in theory" bit). I just need to decide if these courses are worth investing in as things stand today.

Gavin has hit the nail on the head here, there are now 100's of sparks out there that have walked away from PV, and others are trying to survive, you are not even an electrician yet.

I have to be honest here, it is like walking into a job center and asking for a job on the Titanic.

of course, if you like politics, every changing rules, loads of paperwork, and you want to trade at a loss then go for it..

Could you advise as to any other renewable that's worth learning about if PV is on a downer? Alternatively, knowing what you know, suggest another profession to get into?

Maybe becoming a job centre operative is the way forward? :)

i thought of becoming an undertaker, but it's a dying trade.

sedgy34's advice is not said in jest! Indeed our dual qualified guys, plumbing / electrics, FGas, Gas Safe and PV trained, can turn their hand to any of the renewables that we have to install. Renewables is no longer electrics OR plumbing its both..

Reply to What Courses Should I Take? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net