Discuss what do I do with this rats nest???!!! help!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lloyd1980

Hi guys a bit of advice would be appreciated please!!!
Got called to price for a consumer unit change at a privatly owned residential flat.
Lovely 85 year old fella owned it, really proudly showing me around and showing off the DIY Electrics hes done himself!
His shower is fed in 6mm, its an 8.5kw unit, also hes spliced into the shower cable and tapped off to feed his immersion heater, half his immersion is on economy 7 half is on standard, he has wired sockets here there and everywhere and it is a total mess.
Half the stuff hell prob get away with without a problem but his shower cable worries me.
Now ive made him aware that it isnt up to standards and needs looking at but hes adament he just wants the board change and thats all.
Am just wondering if and its a big if - the RCD's all hold, what do I do about the paperwork, its then basically a rats nest attached to a new board.
Have looked on the EI Cert and there only seems to be a limitations box on the periodic form, do I comment at the bottom of the EI cert under observations?
and just say customer has instructed me not to touch and put right the wiring???
I just want to get it right as dont want to be screwed in court as putting my name to it.
Really appreciate any help.
thank you guys

Hi Lloyd1980,

What protection is currently being used? I assume 32A fuse or mcb.
For the 6mm cable your max. protection is 32A whilst the max demand of the shower is 36A. Rerunning a 10mm
cable for the shower can be a PITA. Tell that guy that it is a fire hazzard etc and he has to pay for a wiring upgrade as well. Really you can't put this in the EIC as a limitation if the existing installation is not safe. In the end you sign it so you are responsible for it.

its all old rewirables mate, and im assuming its wired in 30a fuse wire as its a red one, being a 'tinkerer' he could have rewired it with anything mate.
Ive just written him a letter explaining its a hazzard and I canrt do the work without upgrading the 6mm straight to board and pickiing up a supply for immersion or wiring back to board.
also bonding etc will need to be upgraded.
He was adament and will prob be insulted im picking apart his little 'projects' and prob think i am dragging out the job trying to squeeze more money out of him, but as it needs testing an my name with LABC im not risking it.
If my old boss had told me to do it, i prrob would have , but it was his name on the cert.
bloo dy have a go harry customers.

i take it there are other factors you havent mentioned that are causing you concern regarding the shower cable as an 8.5 kw will run happily on 6mm as long as volt drop, correction factors etc are ok

the feed for the immersion will need its own circuit though ;)

Thanks for the posts.
I have been to see them and sat them down and explained what needs putting right.
he is happy to have the work done , so everything will be tickedy boo, by the time im finished.

most people start off anti anything but when you take some time and sit with them and explain it all, it helps to pull out the on site guide or something similar (red book too confusing to the customer) they then listen and realise you are not a chancer they say ok.

Reply to what do I do with this rats nest???!!! help!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net