Discuss What do i need for a diy electric go-kart? (cheapest options) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jessey

DIY
Reaction score
i ask this because i wanted to make a electric go-kart and i dont know how and i have a little money to spent.

electrically you will need the following

1. battery
2. speed controler
3. motor
4. switch and potentiometer for the foot pedal to control speed.

now each of these things could take up an entire thread on their own but the general idea is.

decide how many watts of power you need the motor to be
take this to choose a suitable motor controller and motor combination

the battery capacity can be calculated by what you expect the average current in amps is multiplied by the number of hours you want it to work for between charges.

i.e. if you expect the motor to draw an average of 40A and want it to last for 3 hours between charges then you will need a 120Ah battery.

this is in its most basic form, there are many other things to consider and you will not get the performance and run time you expect from these calculations.
whatever you calculate add 50% for a margin of error!

electrically you will need the following

1. battery
2. speed controler
3. motor
4. switch and potentiometer for the foot pedal to control speed.

now each of these things could take up an entire thread on their own but the general idea is.

decide how many watts of power you need the motor to be
take this to choose a suitable motor controller and motor combination

the battery capacity can be calculated by what you expect the average current in amps is multiplied by the number of hours you want it to work for between charges.

i.e. if you expect the motor to draw an average of 40A and want it to last for 3 hours between charges then you will need a 120Ah battery.

this is in its most basic form, there are many other things to consider and you will not get the performance and run time you expect from these calculations.
whatever you calculate add 50% for a margin of error!
Hello James,
Can i just use a electric scooter parts for it?

greetings Jessey

Short answer is yes.
an electric scooter has all the parts required

Reply to What do i need for a diy electric go-kart? (cheapest options) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net