Discuss What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Carlos Arruda

Hello everybody.

First of all, I'd like to apologize, as it might seem like I am asking an all to similar questions that has been asked here endlessly. Please rest assured, I have read a big deal of those but, sadly, I am still in the dark.

Secondly, can anybody please let me know what certifications I need to be able to start working (self employed) as an electrician. I need the very basic to get me started and then anything else will follow suit.

I have asked the college tutors and not even them are sure as to the path one must take. I have completed a Commercial and Electrical installations Level 2 C&G which took me a year and have now enrolled on Level 3.

According to my tutors I will be qualified to work as self employed once I have completed my Level 3. They even said I can already work doing some minor jobs as long as I register myself with a body like ECA provided that I meet their criteria which is to be enrolled on a level 3 course and successfully passed it within it's time frame, in this case 2 years.

It seems that this is a bit confusing as to register with ECA they require to have some of my latest works assessed but I can't do those same jobs because I am not yet registered with them???? Confusing and sounds like catch 22 swings and roundabouts.

The course I have done is the one
HTML:
http://www.lowestoft.ac.uk/college-courses/construction-and-trades/electrical-installation-level-2.aspx

Please advise as I am utterly confused with all the information out there.

Regards,
Albert

Here we go again.
The minimum for registration with the likes of Elecsa etc is the 17th edition qual (C&G2382 I think) as they say you'll need 2 jobs to show em. Change the CU at your house and do something at your girlfriends, job done, when you're registered notify them. Get your insurances etc together and your £500 and you're in mate. No one ever fails.
All this info is contained on their websites Carlos so I really don't see what you're confused about.
Forgive the tone but these questions have been answered about a billion times.
Good luck in your business venture and keep on studying.

No need for the attitude there Trev!

Yeah the question has been answered before but as Carlos said, he has found conflicting information and was seeking clarity, which you did provide!

Wow a telling off from 2 newbies. If you'd bothered to read you'd have spotted the second last line of my reply to him. Perhaps when you've been here a while you'll learn what I'm talking about.

Funny how you got told off by someone just registered who's in Gorleston replying to another newly registered user that went to a college 8 miles down the road!!!

Wow a telling off from 2 newbies. If you'd bothered to read you'd have spotted the second last line of my reply to him. Perhaps when you've been here a while you'll learn what I'm talking about.

What's the other word for bliss, trev ?

Here we go again.
The minimum for registration with the likes of Elecsa etc is the 17th edition qual (C&G2382 I think) as they say you'll need 2 jobs to show em. Change the CU at your house and do something at your girlfriends, job done, when you're registered notify them. Get your insurances etc together and your £500 and you're in mate. No one ever fails.
All this info is contained on their websites Carlos so I really don't see what you're confused about.
Forgive the tone but these questions have been answered about a billion times.
Good luck in your business venture and keep on studying.
whoos to say he dont?

Wow, I wasn't 'telling off' anyone, I was under the impression that people were here to be helpful, maybe I was wrong with that idea?

not a giant leap to guess we attend the same college either.

I did read your whole post, did you bother to read all mine before getting self righteous? I acknowledged your helpful reply.

the trouble with forums is people who don't know you or your posting history won't understand your humor if that's what that was, I understand it can be frustrating to re answer what seems to be the same questions but not everyone has the same circumstances or have been told so many things that they become confused by it all, our main issue here is the college and the way the courses we have signed up to have been explained to us and the progression route from them, you have cleared that up in your reply and I thank you for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trouble with forums is they are aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Trev, I hold in high esteem, he’s earned it. Not just from me but many members.

You on the other hand have nothing to offer as far as I can see. You may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

In my views qualification will be offered at level 2 and level 3 which will consist of some technical units from the scheme named apprentice 2357. Once you have completed this qualification, it can then be mapped across to apprentice 2357 and which clearly depicts completion of ECS registration and performance units.

All new members have to be qualified to NVQ3 now along with the 2382 to join a scheme.
More self-employed joining a saturated market....joy.

Wow, I wasn't 'telling off' anyone, I was under the impression that people were here to be helpful, maybe I was wrong with that idea?

not a giant leap to guess we attend the same college either.

I did read your whole post, did you bother to read all mine before getting self righteous? I acknowledged your helpful reply.

the trouble with forums is people who don't know you or your posting history won't understand your humor if that's what that was, I understand it can be frustrating to re answer what seems to be the same questions but not everyone has the same circumstances or have been told so many things that they become confused by it all, our main issue here is the college and the way the courses we have signed up to have been explained to us and the progression route from them, you have cleared that up in your reply and I thank you for that.
Let's just put it down to a late night storm in a teacup then.

All new members have to be qualified to NVQ3 now along with the 2382 to join a scheme.
More self-employed joining a saturated market....joy.

if that's correct, how will the Electrical Trainee be able to join?

Reply to What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock