Discuss What do people us now for switch box lighting connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
Joining a looped neutral in a plaster mounted lighting switch box.
Back in my sad old day... we used plastic connector blocks, which I seem to remember were binned a while back.
What are people using these days?
I watched the sparky on a site the other week crimping all his connections with yellow crimps, which must be hell for alterations and testing.

screw terminal connectors are compliant if accessible. crimping lighting cables with 6mm crimps is what you might expect from a kitchen fitter.( was going to say plumbers, but it's too technical for water monkeys ). no real sparks would do this.

Lever connectors are the best, about 15p for a two pole and 20p for three pole, I did a large barn conv looped neutral because if the 4.5m pitched ceiling and all spots, I used lever connectors for earth & Neutral as all drywall boxes also, great if you have a fault, no screw driver or brute force required

Hi all
Joining a looped neutral in a plaster mounted lighting switch box.
Back in my sad old day... we used plastic connector blocks, which I seem to remember were binned a while back.
What are people using these days?
I watched the sparky on a site the other week crimping all his connections with yellow crimps, which must be hell for alterations and testing.

yea when did connector blocks get binned,no idea why he is crimping

Well I'll stick to the screw connectors for now then!
I got grief from an NICEIC man just as I packed up and de-registered many years back, with him telling me they were on their way out.... obviously not!
Thank God for that... got boxes of them in the store.

Yep. He was an NICEIC sparky as well using the yellow crimps. I asked him why and he just said why not!
Perhaps its all he had in the van.

I use Wagos or the Hellaman Tyton version.
On rewires or new circuits I try my best to loop at the switch.
I also use the Hager switches that have a N Loop terminal.

I wonder if Hager have patented those, or are other manufacturers going to follow suit? The Hager plates are nice looking, and the neutral terminal is needed (I always feel connector blocks are a bit of an unsatisfactory fudge), but customers don't like the name being printed on the front.

Reply to What do people us now for switch box lighting connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net