Discuss what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I reckon you have this motor winding set up(Dahlander/pole changing) as in the attachment.

The six wires are brought out to the 6 terminals as the triplets 1V, 1U and 1W and 2U, 2V and 2W and connected as in the diagram at attachment.

To effect pole changing one swaps the 3 lines L1, L2 and L3 between these triplets and when the lines are connected to 2U, 2V and 2W one connects 1U, 1V and 1W together.

3 Lines to the series delta is for slow speed by making an 8 pole(4 pole pairs) machine with speed of 750 rpm and 3 lines in parallel star for 4 pole (2 pole pairs) with sync speed of 1500 rpm.
[automerge]1576526838[/automerge]
The motor terminal is:
W2 U2 V2
U1 V1 W1

but photographed upside down

W1(Blue) V1(Green) U1(Orange)
V2(Brown) U2(Black) W2(Gray/Light Brown)

Attachments

• woodfeedermotor.docx
    15 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I reckon you have this motor winding set up(Dahlander/pole changing) as in the attachment.

The six wires are brought out to the 6 terminals as the triplets 1V, 1U and 1W and 2U, 2V and 2W and connected as in the diagram at attachment.

To effect pole changing one swaps the 3 lines L1, L2 and L3 between these triplets and when the lines are connected to 2U, 2V and 2W one connects 1U, 1V and 1W together.

3 Lines to the series delta is for slow speed by making an 8 pole(4 pole pairs) machine with speed of 750 rpm and 3 lines in parallel star for 4 pole (2 pole pairs) with sync speed of 1500 rpm.
[automerge]1576526838[/automerge]
The motor terminal is:
W2 U2 V2
U1 V1 W1

thanks very much!

does that mean that this is not a
star delta wired motor? or that is the same as a
Dahlander/pole changing

how does the pole changing happen? is it in a fixed position by replacing physical wires or a switch of somekind?

The motor terminal is:
W2 U2 V2
U1 V1 W1

SpeedtStu - As LN said and I concur, the motor windings are arranged for (Dhalinder pole change )and not star then delta for start then run operation. Could you tell us how many internal wires are attached to each terminal - it looks like only one indicating as LN said that there are internal connections between "2U-2V, 2V-2W and 2U -2W; but they may be other connections under the terminal block. Could you undo the two chrome slotted screws and have a look underneath for any more connections?

Otherwise the motor will have to opened up to access these pairings, severe them and reconnect them differently to form a parallel delta arrangement of windings able to be energised at 230V line-to-line.

Sorry rushed at the moment have to go picj the wife up from choir practice - the pole chamging is done by switching the incoming 3 lines between tge triplets I mentioned earlier and when in one of those configurations connecting together three nodes as I mentioned. If yu stare at the doagram I showed and imagined defroning it by pulling 2U, "2V and 2W in three directions angles 120 degrees apart away from the controid you can see how it can swap between series delta and parallely star and the 1U and 1W and 1U vertices come together .

Last edited:
The motor terminal is:
W2 U2 V2
U1 V1 W1

SpeedtStu - Could you tell us how many internal wires are attached to each terminal - it looks like only one indicating as LN said that there are internal connections between "2U-2V, 2V-2W and 2U -2W; but they may be other connections under the terminal block. Could you undo the two chrome slotted screws and have a look underneath for any more connections?

Otherwise the motor will have to opened up to access these pairings, severe them and reconnect them differently to form a parallel delta arrangement of windings able to be energised at 230V line-to-line.
i will do that tomorrow in good light, i can do all of the above with instructions. You're all superstars!

See attached image first.

If one takes the transform of the star configuration to the delta configuration
and use the nomenclature u1 and u2 as the start an ends of U1 and u3 and u4 as the start and ends of winding U2 - similarly for V1, V2, W1 and W2, then for star

L1 - u1, L2 - v1, L3- w1 and star is u2 - v2 - w2.

Transforming to delta the winding ends are connected:

L1 - u1 and L2 - u2
L2 - v1 and L3 - v2
L3 - w1 and L1 -w2

If one uses the same transform for the parallel star arrangement to a parallel delta arrangement one has for star:

L1 - u4 - v1
L2 - v4 - w1
L3 - w4 - u1

and star point is u2 - u3 - v2 - v3 - w2 - w3

which transforms to a delta of:

L1/2U terminal - u2 - w3 - (u4 - v1)
L2/2V terminal - v2 - u3 - (w1 - v4)
L3/2W terminal - v3 - w2 - (u1 - w4)

where the winding ends in brackets () are already connected as required to L1, L2 or L3 but those not in brackets viz u2, u3, v2, v3, w2, w3 are not connected as required. At the moment the connections are made (u2-u3), (v2-v3) and (w2-w3) which are the corners of the low speed delta configuration. As Lucien said these pairings need to be accessed, severed and reconnected as shown above in bold.

Or I have made a complete Horlicks..... :)

Attachments

• what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control main-qimg-00f1fd9601d8cc9892f5db6358289db4 - EletriciansForums.net
    main-qimg-00f1fd9601d8cc9892f5db6358289db4.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
See:

How to connect 3 phase motors in star and delta connection - Quora - https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-connect-3-phase-motors-in-star-and-delta-connection

If one takes the transform of the star configuration to the delta configuration
and use the nomenclature u1 and u2 as the start an ends of U1 and u3 and u4 as the start and ends of winding U2 - similarly for V1, V2, W1 and W2, then for star

L1 - u1, L2 - v1, L3- w1 and star is u2 - v2 - w2.

Transforming to delta the winding ends are connected:

L1 - u1 and L2 - u2
L2 - v1 and L2 - v2
L3 - w1 and L1 -w2

If one uses the same transform for the parallel star arrangement to a parallel delta arrangement one has for star:

L1 - u4 - v1
L2 - v4 - w1
L3 - w4 - u1

and star point is u2 - u3 - v2 - v3 - w2 - w3

which transforms to a delta of:

L1/2U terminal - u2 - w3 - (u4 - v1)
L2/2V terminal - v2 - u3 - (w1 - v4)
L3/2W terminal - v3 - w2 - (u1 - w4)

where the winding ends in brackets () are already connected as required to L1, L2 or L3 but those not in brackets viz u2, u3, v2, v3, w2, w3 are not connected as required. At the moment the connections are made (u2-u3), (v2-v3) and (w2-w3) which are the corners of the low speed delta configuration. As Lucien said these pairings need to be accessed, severed and reconnected as shown above in bold.

Or I have made a complete Horlicks..... :)
I am sorting out a multimeter as you guys wow me again, this is very cool of you all. I'll do my best to pull it off. Thanks again!

Lucien: My analysis indicates that the windings (U1, V1, W1) are wound in the same way so that the same current flowing from 1 to 2 produces the same direction of magnetic field.

The windings (U2, V2, W2) are wound in the opposite direction to U1, V1, W1 which means to produce the same direction of magnetic field as U1, V1, W1 the current must flow 4 to 3.

To produce a conventional pole pairs using parallel delta, the windings (UV, UW, VW) are connected in parallel by connecting 1 to 4 and 2 to 3; this creates the same direction of magnetic field in each coil. This is what is seen in my #25 (if you draw it out - see my scribbled attachment and note #). The current flow then through say the pair V1 and W3 is in opposite directions but the coils are wound opposite way to each other so magnetic field combine. The Ampturns of V1 and W3 are in the same direction.

This is just what we want for the 230V line to line parallel delta configuration for the creation of conventional pole pairs (high speed).

As a quick check slow speed by consequent pole generation would now be series star but require 400V line to line and the coils would be connected in series as say u1 U1 u2 w3 W2 w4.

Note #: The arrows indicate the magnetic field direction for current flows 1 to 2 or 3 to 4.

I could have made a mistake though so do point it/them out to me ....
[automerge]1576570129[/automerge]
wow, you are getting not beyond my understanding but certainly out of my comfort zone.

not sure if I understand correctly what you are referring to when describing the windings but have got as far as this poorly drawn representation. left (as is) right (convert to)

am I with you so far?

James - see attachment in my #26. LN is suggesting (cleverly) converting the 380V line to line parallel star high sync speed winding configuration as is (-you showed a series star) into a to be 230v line to line parallel delta (which you did draw).

Attachments

• what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control deltadelta.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    deltadelta.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Crikey, I was only asking for a yes or no!
I'll look later, I have two machine breakdowns which are holding a job up.

In the meantime, I'll add a note about safety. If the original controls are missing and being replaced by the inverter, you are modifying the machine in a safety-critical way. There are all sorts of regulatory implications if you use the machine in a place of work or sell it. If the new controls and mode of operation are not compliant (and proven to be compliant), it may be a breach of various regs to install, operate or sell it. I will leave all those implications for you to work out. My only interest here is to investigate the motor and identify whether it can be reconfigured to run on 230V.

Crikey, I was only asking for a yes or no!
I'll look later, I have two machine breakdowns which are holding a job up.

In the meantime, I'll add a note about safety. If the original controls are missing and being replaced by the inverter, you are modifying the machine in a safety-critical way. There are all sorts of regulatory implications if you use the machine in a place of work or sell it. If the new controls and mode of operation are not compliant (and proven to be compliant), it may be a breach of various regs to install, operate or sell it. I will leave all those implications for you to work out. My only interest here is to investigate the motor and identify whether it can be reconfigured to run on 230V.
Thanks everything so far. To confirm this will only be used in my own private workshop :) I've ordered a multimeter today and will start getting all the pics together, it would be a very cool project to work with you all on. Great piece of machinery to have working.

Fixed my breakdowns, one was an intermittent internal break in an encoder cable, other was a configuration problem.

You are correct that star-delta pole-changing is fundamentally different from star-delta starting. Star-delta starting is a method applied to a conventional 3-phase motor, while pole-changing is a function of a specially built 2-speed motor. What they have in common is the use of switching to rearrange the winding connections.

Star-delta starting is a basic soft-start method used with regular single-speed 3-phase motors that have one group of three windings rated for the full line-line voltage. When connected in star for starting, each 400V winding receives only 230V, reducing the starting current and torque. After a sufficient run-up time, the starter reconnects the windings into delta so that each winding receives the full 400V and full torque is available.

A pole-changing motor is specially constructed to deliver two speeds at the turn of a switch. The Dahlander configuration provides a simple and convienent way to alter the phasing and the voltage per winding with the minimum of switch contacts, suitable for motors with 2:1 speed ratio and windings rated for the line-neutral voltage. It does not offer a soft-start as such, which would require a more extensive switching system and probably be redundant on a typical small pole-changing motor.

Inverter drives make both techniques obsolete, because they can provide both soft starting and selectable fixed running speeds. For use with a 400V output inverter, a motor originally wired for star-delta starting can be left in delta (full power) and a Dahlander motor can be left in star (high speed) and controlled exclusively by the VFD. The standard motor could optionally be reconfigured for 690V in star, and the Dahlander motor 230V in delta, which is what we are looking to achieve here.

Fixed my breakdowns, one was an intermittent internal break in an encoder cable, other was a configuration problem.

You are correct that star-delta pole-changing is fundamentally different from star-delta starting. Star-delta starting is a method applied to a conventional 3-phase motor, while pole-changing is a function of a specially built 2-speed motor. What they have in common is the use of switching to rearrange the winding connections.

Star-delta starting is a basic soft-start method used with regular single-speed 3-phase motors that have one group of three windings rated for the full line-line voltage. When connected in star for starting, each 400V winding receives only 230V, reducing the starting current and torque. After a sufficient run-up time, the starter reconnects the windings into delta so that each winding receives the full 400V and full torque is available.

A pole-changing motor is specially constructed to deliver two speeds at the turn of a switch. The Dahlander configuration provides a simple and convienent way to alter the phasing and the voltage per winding with the minimum of switch contacts, suitable for motors with 2:1 speed ratio and windings rated for the line-neutral voltage. It does not offer a soft-start as such, which would require a more extensive switching system and probably be redundant on a typical small pole-changing motor.

Inverter drives make both techniques obsolete, because they can provide both soft starting and selectable fixed running speeds. For use with a 400V output inverter, a motor originally wired for star-delta starting can be left in delta (full power) and a Dahlander motor can be left in star (high speed) and controlled exclusively by the VFD. The standard motor could optionally be reconfigured for 690V in star, and the Dahlander motor 230V in delta, which is what we are looking to achieve here.
That's great you got the breakdowns sorted. This explanation is excellent, I will study it carefully. One question the star delta diagrams, those shapes(star and delta) are they theoretical or are they like that somewhere inside the casings? Im very grateful for the amazing expertise of you all, ill report back when i get the pics and multimeter, ill carefully remove it from the gearbox so i can look at it inside in the warmth with good light:)
thanks very much all!

Star and Delta refer to the shape when drawn on the diagram.
Internally the windings are very different from the diagram, and realistically none of the arrangements look any different to each other. To start with, while each winding is shown as a single element on the diagram, in reality it will comprise multiple coils on the stator.
On a 2 pole motor, there will be two coils/phase - diametrically opposite each other in the stator. A 4 pole motor will have 4 coils - 90˚ apart round the stator. And so on. So a 4 pole 3 phase motor will have 12 coils in it - 3 sets (one set/phase) of 4 coils, with the 4 coils being connected in series and/or parallel according to the voltage rating needed and the coil design.

I had a bit of a look for some diagrams. This blog seems interesting, when you get to the bottom, click on the links for the next ones.
Then I came across this article where someone has rewound a motor. It's single phase, but the basic principles are the same for a 3 phase motor - they just have three phases worth of identical windings rather than different run and start (or run/start) windings.

Last edited:
Star and Delta refer to the shape when drawn on the diagram.
Internally the windings are very different from the diagram, and realistically none of the arrangements look any different to each other. To start with, while each winding is shown as a single element on the diagram, in reality it will comprise multiple coils on the stator.
On a 2 pole motor, there will be two coils/phase - diametrically opposite each other in the stator. A 4 pole motor will have 4 coils - 90˚ apart round the stator. And so on. So a 4 pole 3 phase motor will have 12 coils in it - 3 sets (one set/phase) of 4 coils, with the 4 coils being connected in series and/or parallel according to the voltage rating needed and the coil design.

I had a bit of a look for some diagrams. This blog seems interesting, when you get to the bottom, click on the links for the next ones.
Then I came across this article where someone has rewound a motor. It's single phase, but the basic principles are the same for a 3 phase motor - they just have three phases worth of identical windings rather than different run and start (or run/start) windings.
Thanks again this is great. I'll check out the links now too. Will have pics and multimeter in the next few days. Looking forward to investigating this with all of your help. Thanks!!!

Thanks again this is great. I'll check out the links now too. Will have pics and multimeter in the next few days. Looking forward to investigating this with all of your help. Thanks!!!
what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control 20191219_223740 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi all

I was able to remove the motor from the worm/bevel gears( i hope i did not damage them)

What should be my plan of attack, I am still waiting for a multimeter to arrive from screwfix.

How much of it should I dissassemble and take pics of?
Thanks all

Hi, I am a bit late to the party here and think Lucien has done as always an excellent job in helping you out, these kind of motors are ones I am not all too familiar with so I will reserve comment although I will make a point I don't think has been raised here.
Putting VSD's to run older motors comes with many risks, the windings themselves are not designed to cope with modern VSD control methods, breakdown of the windings can subsequently occur causing premature failure as well as circulating eddies running through the motor shaft and bearings which can see them fail prematurely too.

I would suggest because of the complexity and age of this motor you have here it would be infact cheaper (if we are talking time and money invested) to just buy a new motor and drive, a good motor service repair company may advice to replace the gears too or they may be able to adapt the new motor to suit to fit the old.

I would get a costing with options before you start going down the road of simply slapping a VSD control upfront of this motor or you may find out you are ending up paying out twice because of a bit of short sightedness.

PS - I will parrot Luciens concerns regarding compliance here although if this is a private project at home then you really are not subject to them, having said that though it is vital you have a very good knowledge of them and understand all the aspects of risk and safety that goes with changing/adapting the control system here, ignorance in this department could be life threatening in areas you fail to understand thus putting yourself at risk.

Thanks for taking a look.

Yes agree "short sightedness" would be a pity but on this occasion
Hi, I am a bit late to the party here and think Lucien has done as always an excellent job in helping you out, these kind of motors are ones I am not all too familiar with so I will reserve comment although I will make a point I don't think has been raised here.
Putting VSD's to run older motors comes with many risks, the windings themselves are not designed to cope with modern VSD control methods, breakdown of the windings can subsequently occur causing premature failure as well as circulating eddies running through the motor shaft and bearings which can see them fail prematurely too.

I would suggest because of the complexity and age of this motor you have here it would be infact cheaper (if we are talking time and money invested) to just buy a new motor and drive, a good motor service repair company may advice to replace the gears too or they may be able to adapt the new motor to suit to fit the old.

I would get a costing with options before you start going down the road of simply slapping a VSD control upfront of this motor or you may find out you are ending up paying out twice because of a bit of short sightedness.

PS - I will parrot Luciens concerns regarding compliance here although if this is a private project at home then you really are not subject to them, having said that though it is vital you have a very good knowledge of them and understand all the aspects of risk and safety that goes with changing/adapting the control system here, ignorance in this department could be life threatening in areas you fail to understand thus putting yourself at risk.

Thanks for your input, we have spoken earlier in the thread about most of these items.

One question for me is if the motor is convertible (by me with the forums help) and works and fails prematurely will it take the vfd with it as well?
is it a very dangerous fire or electrical or mechanical hazard?

Safety is the highest concern - This actually to get a safety device working.

Is it worth opening it up so everyone can see what it is?
Id be interested to learn about the motor at least.

And then deciding a yay or naay on whether to proceed?

Ps I am very impressed by the forum and its members, a super professional and knowledgable resource.

That would be a waste straight out of the box,

View attachment 54624
Hello, I am a woodworker who has got a large old power feed, its 380v and i want someone to rewire to a 220v vfd for me, can someone please tell me what these old colour codes mean. I bought the machine in Scotland.I can't find any easy diagrams online.I think its a good few years old.Thank you!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Does that motors wires actually have numbers on them

The colours of the outgoing cables don't tell us anything; they are the usual harmonised phase colours (black, brown, grey) for one winding group, and three other random colours for the other group. You can remove these for now as they will be in the way, but don't disturb the internal connections from the windings.

I hadn't been able to see that there were 9 winding ends in the terminal box. If the two leads on each of UA, VA, WA are the corners of the delta (a.k.a. U1, V1, W1) then those simply need making up into different pairs, and the 230V reconfiguration is complete without having to open the motor. If they are the edges (a.k.a. U2, V2, W2) and the single leads on UB, VB, WB are internally jointed to the corners, we're no further forward and need to get at those internal joints. So it looks like we have a 50% chance that it's a doddle. Now I have to think of a simple test to identify them with minimal equipment and no 3-phase mains.

Referring back to your previous post, no, there's no physical manifestation of star or delta layout in the windings. Those shapes refer to the appearance of the theoretical circuit diagram when particular combinations of winding ends are connected together.

Darkwood makes a good point; not all motors are happy with VFD output waveforms. The short risetimes stress the insulation and older motors sometimes breaks down as a result. I've never actually had this problem myself yet, so I tend to overlook it.

Last edited:

Reply to what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock