Discuss what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No problem, looking into these things is all part of the fun. I hope they can find a convenient solution for you. The guys at the rewind place might be amused to read this thread too!

On the bench here in the workshop I'd have done the swap-around of the winding ends and run it up on a 3-phase variac with a lamp limiter, which would soon prove whether the mod was correct and prevent damage if one winding was out of phase etc. But I appreciate that from where you are, especially with no 3-phase to test with, it's a bit of a challenge and a leap of faith.

Earth it the same as you would any other metal cased appliance - just make sure the earth connection in the mains lead and plug is sound. At the equipment end, make sure each item with mains connection has it's case earthed.
thank you!
No problem, looking into these things is all part of the fun. I hope they can find a convenient solution for you. The guys at the rewind place might be amused to read this thread too!

On the bench here in the workshop I'd have done the swap-around of the winding ends and run it up on a 3-phase variac with a lamp limiter, which would soon prove whether the mod was correct and prevent damage if one winding was out of phase etc. But I appreciate that from where you are, especially with no 3-phase to test with, it's a bit of a challenge and a leap of faith.
Thanks a million for your help here and on the other post, this project has opened my eyes and head up to what is doable and the need to ask questions, I really did want to learn a bit more about motors, this was great and amazing to see how complex it is and see whizz kids in action :) i studied some electronics theory years ago, it was never my strong point.

Speedystu: many of us are keen to know how this thread was resolved - or maybe only me! :)

Speedystu: many of us are keen to know how this thread was resolved - or maybe only me! :)
Hey, I costed all options to get the power feed working, it was not economical for me to proceed, I bought I knowing it was a risk but thanks to the forum I was able to see what was involved. I have to say I really enjoyed learning from you all. I am using the knowledge gained to make really smart El trical decisions going forward . For now I need to stick to 220 v and buy machinery at that. Thanks again!

Hi again, SUCCESS, I have purchased a (think 9hp) diesel generator for a good price, it is key start, it's a few years old and needs some tidying up and is a bit noisy but is for a rural workshop. It has two 110 and two 220 sockets and has another socket pictured below, is some one able to help identify what output the other socket it is and if I need to test it to check what's coming out. It may be an old connecting pin ( I'm not sure) in my workshop, I need to use some motors ( including a custom power feed, I want to know what size and phase will work with this. It would be great to hear some opinions. Thanks all! Hope everyone is keeping safe .

what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control Screenshot_20200229-105841~2 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control IMG_20200630_192926421 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200630_192926421.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
That is a 32A 110v socket

Hi All

Hope things are going ok at this time.

I have come across a powerfeed for woodworking but its a 3 ph unit, I only have 220v 1ph, can this motor be tweaked or be used with a vfd to make it run and still do its normal job?

Please see the motor plate below, thank you!!!what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control Screenshot_20201124-100434 - EletriciansForums.net

pics of wire out and controls

Attachments

• what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control s-l1600 (1) control switch pic - EletriciansForums.net
    s-l1600 (1) control switch pic.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
  • what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control s-l1600 (1) powerfeed wire out - EletriciansForums.net
    s-l1600 (1) powerfeed wire out.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately, No it can't.

It is a 2 speed 400v motor.
if it were a dual voltage motor the nameplate voltage would read something like 230/400 v

I think it's the same deal as the previous motor. 400V pole-changing configuration will only run on 400V as supplied, but could in theory be internally modified to a 230V 2-pole. Having chosen not to go that way with the first one I'm not going to suggest it here. I've no experience of running VFDs through transformers, but is that an option?

Reply to what do these 380v wiring colours mean, I want to use with a 220v vfd. it may have had speed control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock