Discuss What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yellow for 110V, blue for 230V, red for 400V. Other colours for special applications.
16A, 32A, 63A and 125A, 2P+E, 3P+E, 3P+N+E.

You know what I'm talking about. They've been around for 50 years, but no-one can yet agree what to call them.

The official name is "plugs, socket-outlets and couplers for industrial purposes" according to IEC 60309 (formerly IEC309). They go by lots of different aliases... IEC309, BS4343, CEE17... but a lot of people use a manufacturers' name or trademark: Commando, Marechal, Ceeform, or just the current rating 'a 32A plug' or something relevant to them 'Caravan plug'.

What do you call them? Does it depend on who you're talking to?

I grew up calling them industrial plugs..
Depending on who I’m talking to though, also call them commando plugs..
At wholesalers will ask for them by colour, voltage, current and number of pins... they still get it wrong haha

Commando plugs always through my training. Is that the MK name ?

I sometimes do work for a commercial printer company that call them shark plugs, probably another brand name.

BS4343.

There can be differences if not bs4343 and a particular manufacturers design.
Pin diameter, key slot.
I’ve had cheap caravan leads stuck in our Rolec hook up points because of differing measurements.

Commando plugs always through my training. Is that the MK name ?

I sometimes do work for a commercial printer company that call them shark plugs, probably another brand name.

We use a lot of shark plugs, they're made by PCE. We use them because they do an all black version which is very fashionable in theatre.

CEE FORM seems to me the best name to avoid brand and refer instead to 'Certification of Electrotechnical Equipment - CEE'

The link shows the colour coding table and rules for colour, voltage, frequency, ac/dc combination.

Re: Davesparks black shark plugs - black has entries in the colour coding table.

Last edited:
Trade names work when there is only one market leader, Hoover, Sellotape - etc. Otherwise it gets confusing as the above comments prove. In the RAF WD40 was called Rocket - because years previously it was originally made by a company called... Rocket. Now everyone calls it WD40 - even if it's GT65 or similar.

Originally made by the Rocket Chemical Co. The company were trying to develop a liquid which displaced water and with the 40th formula they succeeded hence WD40 (Water Displacement, 40th formula).

CEE FORM seems to me the best name to avoid brand

'Ceeform' is common in the entertainment lighting industry, but I thought it was originally a trademark of Mennekes Elektrotechnik GmBH who were one of the first manufacturers. A quick browse failed to find evidence for or against this, maybe someone can confirm?

The black PCE Shark series have all black bodies to reduce visibility, as distinct from black to denote voltage range. The data label is coloured to indicate the voltage (e.g. a 230V plug has a blue label) which in the case of the plug is concealed when inserted in a socket.

There can be differences if not bs4343 and a particular manufacturers design.Pin diameter, key slot.

I'm not aware of any deliberately non-standard plugs that are partially / forcibly intermateable with BS4343 (STOP PRESS... BS4343 is withdrawn and replaced by IEC 60309-2). I'm thinking these are actually substandard or incorrectly assembled plugs that are supposed to be to IEC 60309. I've seen people manage to put them together with insert in the wrong orientation, could that be it?

Reply to What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock