Discuss What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

all depends on the plug. if it's a qualified plug, call it "mate". if it's an apprentice plug, call it "Oi You"

Commando, never heard of anyone referring to them by anything else either

Within the events industry, it’s always a ceeform, although not all domestic sparks are familiar with this, or indeed 7909, however all sparks are familiar with them referred to as commandos.

Where did the 'Commando ' name originate from? Anyone know?

It's MK's trademark and well known now, but I don't recall them having much market penetration in the earlier days of IEC309. I wonder how high their profile is outside the UK? It would be ironic for an internationally standardised design to be best known by the local manufacturers' names. The USA knows them as 'pin and sleeve' which is a rather broad description, but distinguishes them from plugs with flat prongs or blades which have always been more common there.

Schuko is also a trademark, owned by an association rather than any one manufacturer. The name is known globally, and is pretty much the only standard name for that type of plug in dozens of countries. You can ask for a Schuko plug in Spain, Iceland, Hungary or Switzerland, all of which have very different languages, and you will be understood. The word 'Schuko' is a contraction of 'Schutz-Kontakt' meaning earth contact, but this is incidental to non-German-speakers.

Perhaps we could do the same for 60309. We should think up a catchy name and popularise it, form an association, then once the name starts to gain traction we sell licences to manufacturers who want to market their 60309 product using that name.

Emails from event organisers often refer to them not by name, but by size/flavour - e.g. 63/3, 63/1, 32/3, 32/1, 16/1. Some believe there's a 64A variant, presumably because 2x32=64... but no one's ever requested a 128

In telecoms it is Commando, doing events it was Ceeform, it did get confusing at times...

Perhaps we could do the same for 60309. We should think up a catchy name and popularise it, form an association, then once the name starts to gain traction we sell licences to manufacturers who want to market their 60309 product using that name.

I vote for "nubbin plugs" due the the locating nubbin on the plastic moulding to ensure correct insertion.

Well if we can call them any names we want, I vote for "Tarquin Fin-tim-lim-bim-lim-bin-bim-bin-bim bus stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel"

Well if we can call them any names we want, I vote for "Tarquin Fin-tim-lim-bim-lim-bin-bim-bin-bim bus stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuitbarrel"
Or who gives a ----!!!!!!!!What an odd thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid is more apt, what a waste of members time to keep this forum going IMO

Reply to What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock