Discuss What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think you'll find it is the members who are keeping this forum/thread going, Pete...we all like some odd-ball time, after all...
I think you'll find it is the members who are keeping this forum/thread going, Pete...we all like some odd-ball time, after all...
I agree, but what to call a plug, get a grip, from a long term member just call it "Top" and be done with it, JEZZ

Or who gives a ****!!!!!!!!

One of my customers did, as a supplier had given them bad advice and they had ended up getting a quote to replace some hundreds of IEC 60309 plugs with the same plugs under a different name. I was on the point of being sent a purchase order for 'Cee17 to Commando adaptors'.

It made me wonder what people in other branches of the industry knew them as. If you don't ask the question, you don't find out.

Ceeform for me
Ceeform for me
What do you call the plug with no name? 1562002452335 - EletriciansForums.net

CEE FORM seems to me the best name to avoid brand and refer instead to 'Certification of Electrotechnical Equipment - CEE'

The link shows the colour coding table and rules for colour, voltage, frequency, ac/dc combination.

Re: Davesparks black shark plugs - black has entries in the colour coding table.

We just call them 'yellow plug' or 'blue plug' depending on if we are talking 110 or 230v.

Proper noun

Description

A proper noun is a noun directly associated with an entity and primarily used to refer to that entity, such as London, Jupiter, Sharon, or Microsoft, CEEFORM as distinguished from a common noun, which is a noun directly associated with a class of entities eg cities, planets, names, software, plugs, and primarily used to refer to instances of a specific class.

:)

Last edited:
Does a common noun include plug tops as well as plugs? It is, after all, a class of entities, including plugs, plug tops, plug bottoms, tops of plugs?
I am Pirate!
Not a pirate...yes, I am one of them, but I am THE Pirate! Not common at all!
I am, however, a pedant, too...
which is why I shout at the telly/radio when presenters cannot pronounce words properly, and put the emphasis on the preposition...
How I long for the days when every school-leaver could speak English properly...but then, I am an old git, my days are numbered in so many ways, and soon I will be swamped by young people who think they know better, when in fact they know nothing...like apprentices who spend all day on their mobile phones...

Sigh...

And breathe.

I am so glad no one mentioned the English language as spoken by cabin crew on aeroplanes...
(Breathing very deeply now...)

...and...relax!
Thankfully some kind person has administered my medication...

I truly believe if gin was available on the NHS everyone would be as sane as I.
Just saying...

Should it be written the electricians' forums cf electriciansforums? ie: the use of the possesive when one noun possesses another noun?

Strictly speaking the apostrophe should be present. But it's probably done like it is to match the Web url (Web addresses don't have apostrophes).

One has to move with the times, littlespark...however, I do drink rum too!

I think, Marconi, that you are quite correct in that it should be electricians' forum.
Clearly, electrician's forum would be wrong, given that would relate to one electrician whose forum it is...and I don't think it could really be a forum if it had only one member. The inability to use an apostrophe in a web address precludes either version, methinks.

Reply to What do you call the plug with no name? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock