Discuss What do you do after 2365? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, So I have done lots of research about going back to college and studying Electrical Installation Level 2 and 3 (2365). I know you then have to do some sort of additional qualification the practical side I guess to get signed off on. Not quite sure of the name / number if somebody could remind me. I have heard that it is really difficult you get all this signed off and become qualified. As getting a job as an Electricians Mate is quite limited as it looks. I am 20 Years Old and have looked at apprenticeships, however most seem to be looking for younger school leavers. Any help with what I do after the Level 3 2365, What is the best way to complete the portfolio.

Thanks In advance!

- Just to add the course I am looking at is at a College and lasts 30 months ( Level 2 12 , Level 3 18). Do you recommend doing an intensive course, if so any providers you recommend.

Hi, So I have done lots of research about going back to college and studying Electrical Installation Level 2 and 3 (2365). I know you then have to do some sort of additional qualification the practical side I guess to get signed off on. Not quite sure of the name / number if somebody could remind me. I have heard that it is really difficult you get all this signed off and become qualified. As getting a job as an Electricians Mate is quite limited as it looks. I am 20 Years Old and have looked at apprenticeships, however most seem to be looking for younger school leavers. Any help with what I do after the Level 3 2365, What is the best way to complete the portfolio.

Thanks In advance!

- Just to add the course I am looking at is at a College and lasts 30 months ( Level 2 12 , Level 3 18). Do you recommend doing an intensive course, if so any providers you recommend.
Sorry Jackb90, I'm old School and all these new fanged quals are strange to me. I guess the best advice is to try and gain access to the trainee area of this Forum, lots of information about training in there someone will be bound to be able to advise you, . Contact someone in Admi for help with access, or just post a request for entry, shouldn't be a problem, good luck.

Once you've finished the 2365 level 2 and 3 you'll go on to do:

2357 NVQ Level 3 Portfolio

then you'll go to do the AM2 which is the 2/3 day practical exam.

Then the 18th edition of the wiring regulations

Then you'll be able to apply for the JIB Installation Electrician Gold Card which most companies see as being 'Fully Qualified'

if you want to further your training then you can complete the Inspection and Testing qualification (2391) and then apply for the Approved Electrician Gold Card.

Then, if you've not had enough of classrooms, you can do the design course (2396) and then get the technician Gold Card.

Then once you've completed all that and achieved utter godly status you'll meet someone on site that hasn't done half the qualifications and they'll be earning the same as you and you'll spend your days fixing their work.

And you'll ask yourself why you didn't pay more attention in school.

Then you'll be able to apply for the JIB Installation Electrician Gold Card which most companies see as being 'Fully Qualified'

if you want to further your training then you can complete the Inspection and Testing qualification (2391) and then apply for the Approved Electrician Gold Card.

Then, if you've not had enough of classrooms, you can do the design course (2396) and then get the technician Gold Card.

Then once you've completed all that and achieved utter godly status you'll meet someone on site that hasn't done half the qualifications and they'll be earning the same as you and you'll spend your days fixing their work.

To summarize choose a different career path.

I'm kidding of course, the only issue is with the 2357. How do I find work I live in the West Midlands - There is barely any jobs for 'Electricians Mates' or so on. How do I complete my portfolio and what jobs can I get?

To summarize choose a different career path.

I'm kidding of course, the only issue is with the 2357. How do I find work I live in the West Midlands - There is barely any jobs for 'Electricians Mates' or so on. How do I complete my portfolio and what jobs can I get?

You can only complete the portfolio if you've got a job either as an apprentice or mate.

There will be work around, you just have to call around. If you find yourself struggling then find the nearest building site and ask if they've got any jobs

or relocate to London, there's plenty of work here. Every site I go to has mates everywhere.

The portfolio ranges from general health and safety and how you implement it in your work practices to installing and Testing and commissioning installations so you will have to be actively doing these jobs to be able to get pictures and gather evidence.

If you can't get work because you haven't got any experience then you'll probably be looking at agency work.

Steer clear of anything "fast track" or "intensive" or which could otherwise put a question mark next to your credentials; employers don't like to see that, regardless of how few other options you claim to have had.

The portfolio ranges from general health and safety and how you implement it in your work practices to installing and Testing and commissioning installations so you will have to be actively doing these jobs to be able to get pictures and gather evidence.

hello mate, i am just coming to the end of my level 3, would it be worth me doing my 18th edition when it comes out this summer and fining work as an improver?

Do people not think that these intensive 8 week courses are good?

Hi,
I doubt those 8 week courses are any good mate, i've been at collage for nearly 2 years doing my level 2 and 3 2365 and there is a hell of a lot to take in.

hello mate, i am just coming to the end of my level 3, would it be worth me doing my 18th edition when it comes out this summer and fining work as an improver?

If it helps you get a job as an improver then I say go for it, as long as your still at college then most employers will see you're dedicated.

It really depends what you want to do, you don't need to go on to do the 2357 NVQ if you don't want to, depends what type of work you are looking to get into, for a local domestic sparks (non site) probably not required. I would suggest trying to get yourself some mates work with a local firm whilst you do your 2365 L2 & L3 and see what you want to do in the future. You can do the 2357 self employed but you need a company who delivers it to support you.

Do people not think that these intensive 8 week courses are good?
Personally I've got nothing against the intensive courses, but I think they should only be done by practicing electricians who just need a certificate to confirm what they already know.

When I meet someone with no site experience and all their qualifications were completed in the same year just a few months apart then it raises a red flag.

How i tackled my NVQ: Fault finding units 2 of the 5 can be done at home. Induce a couple of faults on lighting and small power. I needed just a few 2nd-fix photos on 2 of my 3 remaining install units. All the jobs I was getting were metal munching 1st fix jobs lasting 3+months which I had evidence for. Jumped on the niceic registered contractors list and asked a few local firms for photo opps. i'd offer a day of help/work for a day of photos. Had them finished off by the week, without the pressure of deadlines etc. Try to be as independant as you can. This is costing you dollar, effort and time. You dont want to be shaddowing and carrying a spark as a Mate for too long. You need to be doing work of a higher level than handing the lazy sparkler his own tools and covering for him on his infinite snout and toiket breaks. That not gonna get you qualified. Chat to the gaffer tell him you need little projects on site. Had a bad job were I was staying late on Friday when everyone was down the road, creating scenarios and doing the portfolio work on my own time because electricians wanted to be executive sparks and get you to do all their rubbish.

If you can't get work because you haven't got any experience then you'll probably be looking at agency work.

Steer clear of anything "fast track" or "intensive" or which could otherwise put a question mark next to your credentials; employers don't like to see that, regardless of how few other options you claim to have had.

I’m the same situation, nearly finish 75-80 Level 3 .
But I’m not learning any more, I start work and learning the same time .
I apply lots company nobody give me chance.
I’m still confused now , I don’t know how to get jobs not site experience.
I’m 38 year old , I think I’m too old for apprenticeship.
I wanna work this jobs ????
Is anyone g r me advice???

Reply to What do you do after 2365? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock