Discuss What do you say when you've quoted and the customer says; "that sounds like a lot?" in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just curious, it doesn't happen to me often with what I charge but on occasion. Explaining what or why the costs are involved with the job never really seems to gain any ground.

Rarely happens to me either, as I'm pretty cheap. When it does, I just recommend they get more quotes in, to see if they can get a better price, with a very gentle warning about getting quality labour. Keeping it as friendly and professional as possible, even when I'm riled cos they've got a massive house/flash car etc.

I've never found that negotiating on price ends well, regardless of what sort of work is involved. People who ask you to bend over backwards, generally then expect that you'll jump through hoops. Price according to what you need to get and let them take it or leave it.

If they want to know why it costs so much, take the time to explain in broad terms. If they just want a lower price, then do as @Pretty Mouth suggests and recommend that they get other quotes.

NEVER drop your price , unless the client reduces the amount of work they want doing...

People forget we have expensive tools, test gear , insurance , scam fees and years & years of training & re training to back up charging we what we charge

My pricing is very transparent, if it is call-out then it is hours @ my rate + materials (no mark up) Or if its a priced job like a consumer unit swap then its a straight price and I add a tiny mark up on gear

There is no negotiation

Yes…. I’ll drop the price if you chase the wall, fill them afterwards, and crawl through the itchy poo glass wool in the attic…. How does twenty quid off sound?

Never ever ever lower the quote for the job unless the works are reduced.

And don't do it for less for "cash", or if customer suggests them supplying materials or doing the less skilled parts like chasing walls - it's not going to end well.

View attachment 94602
Never ever ever lower the quote for the job unless the works are reduced.

And don't do it for less for "cash", or if customer suggests them supplying materials or doing the less skilled parts like chasing walls - it's not going to end well.

View attachment 94602
Fell foul of this once myself , knocked £500 off a rewire estimate as the home owner (an old mate) said he would get all the chases done at the weekend before I started on the Monday.

I arrived on Monday morning to find 1 and a bit chases done and a couple boxes badly chopped out. I had to spend all Monday doing the chases. Still wanted his £500 discount and we had a bit of a falling out I buckled and knocked off the £500 as that is what I said I would do.

NEVER AGAIN

For a larger job I will call or meet the client to discuss what I am estimating, how it will be done, what will be used. That way they can understand the value I am bringing. If they are not sure about the price I tell them we can look at using a lower spec on material to get the price down. So maybe 14x series smoke alarms instead of 3000 series and a budget brand of faceplate. I explain that any warranty I offer my be different for a different spec and I encourage they to get other prices.

Generally I lose jobs on availability rather than cost.

Hi Furuez,

My experience so far is from a different industry (Im new to electrical) and I feel the line is the same - I tend to say something along the lines of: ‘depends what you’re comparing it to. I wouldn’t want to drop my standards and cut safety corners to do it any cheaper’.

As regards justification of the price; I usually find that the client isn’t really listening to reasoning in this first instance, they are just looking to vent their initial surprise/thoughts/reactions (I’m sure I’ve commented similar when faced with quotes).

I’d usually leave with something like: ‘well I’ll leave it with you and if you want to come back to me and discuss at a later time, you have my details’. That way the client has time out to think, get other quotes, prepare any questions, etc.

I also would agree with previous comments: if you drop your price you appear to have been overcharging in the first place. I can understand the temptation to do this though.

Just my thoughts though. I’m interested to hear how others think this sounds? :)

I have it often . Podpoint say its x for an install of a charge point. When i tell them the hypervolt or zappi is a better charger and podpoint wont run the cable and will instead stick a plastic enclosure on your wall by the meter outside they then see why podpoint are fitting 3 a day.
Funnily enough Andersen customers never complain! They are paying £1100 for a charger without install so expect a certain premium service

I usually joke and say "Yes, I am reassuringly expensive" when I think I can get away with it. I then add there are no doubt cheaper quotes out there and I encourage them to look into it. I often work for Asian people who love to barter. I say 2000, they say 1500 I reply 2500. They then agree 2000 is good.

Reply to What do you say when you've quoted and the customer says; "that sounds like a lot?" in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock