Discuss What do you think happened here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So was asked to do some electrical work at this house (power and lights to shed)... but I like to see what I’m working with first... and this looks like a can I might not want to open

first - every other house I’m the area is TNCS
I live just down the road and I’m TNCS
So I think there is a missing protective conductor
There is bonding of incoming gas and water which terminate on consumer unit 1.

second - no seal on cut-out (yes I know this happens a lot

but third, the total breaker capacity is 320 A approx. Which allowing for diversity - say 40% is about 124A (it’s a large house with two big newish extensions, cctv, swimming pool and hot tub )

fourth - they told me whole house kept tripping when they used kitchen. This stopped after they refurbished kitchen

so I’m thinking cut out seal was removed to
Replace fuse?
Change fuse to bigger rating?
Allow Henley block for another Consumer unit (sadly no isolator installed at same time)
Maybe all three

I’m concerned will cause probs for client regarding cut out if I contact DNO regarding earthing.

I wondered whether someone removed earthing because they bizarrely thought it had to be removed if you have a swimming pool/hot tub that needs earth rod (rather than divorced from pme)

the SWA to outside runs somewhere under lawn but only know where it comes out halfway down the garden where swimming pool is

So was asked to do some electrical work at this house (power and lights to shed)... but I like to see what I’m working with first... and this looks like a can I might not want to open

first - every other house I’m the area is TNCS
I live just down the road and I’m TNCS
So I think there is a missing protective conductor
There is bonding of incoming gas and water which terminate on consumer unit 1.

second - no seal on cut-out (yes I know this happens a lot

but third, the total breaker capacity is 320 A approx. Which allowing for diversity - say 40% is about 124A (it’s a large house with two big newish extensions, cctv, swimming pool and hot tub )

fourth - they told me whole house kept tripping when they used kitchen. This stopped after they refurbished kitchen

so I’m thinking cut out seal was removed to
Replace fuse?
Change fuse to bigger rating?
Allow Henley block for another Consumer unit (sadly no isolator installed at same time)
Maybe all three

I’m concerned will cause probs for client regarding cut out if I contact DNO regarding earthing.

I wondered whether someone removed earthing because they bizarrely thought it had to be removed if you have a swimming pool/hot tub that needs earth rod (rather than divorced from pme)

the SWA to outside runs somewhere under lawn but only know where it comes out halfway down the garden where swimming pool is
Wot is tripping?

Hi - my read is you can see no DNO means of earthing earthing and it’s not set up as TT... missing seal would not be my first worry.

Hi - my read is you can see no DNO means of earthing earthing and it’s not set up as TT... missing seal would not be my first worry.
I would quite agree
I would call DNO - but have asked client to make decision (I’ve not yet had any instruction)
I imagine DNO would just provide earthing and not ask too many questions - but didn’t want to cause trouble for client

Nothing presently - but before return apparently it was taking out all power to kitchen, all downstairs sockets, jacuzzi, outside lights, smoke alarms, central heating and cloakroom lights
Wot was it that tripped or blown then

Causing trouble for anyone is the last thing to consider.
The earth needs sorting out.
Did you do any testing or was it just a look around?

As far a Mindgirl is concerned, you've just walked into it and know nothing other than what you see, the seal was missing.
The customer had work done, they may or may not have paperwork, they may or may not remember who did the work.

The DNO will come across this sitauation all the time.

Causing trouble for anyone is the last thing to consider.
The earth needs sorting out.
Did you do any testing or was it just a look around?

As far a Mindgirl is concerned, you've just walked into it and know nothing other than what you see, the seal was missing.
The customer had work done, they may or may not have paperwork, they may or may not remember who did the work.

The DNO will come across this sitauation all the time.
They asked for a quote for work - so I was just looking at what was there before committing to
Anything. no testing unfortunately

so get your arse over there. find the problem (at you usual hourly rate + 50% as they have a swimming pool) and quote for fixing. simmpless.

I agree with the above, he lack of any obvious earth is the #1 issue.

It might well be the site has a tolerable Zs just now from parallel paths via service pipes that are bonded and off to neighbours who are also bonded to the supply earth. But that could change if the utilities change to plastic pipes as part of general repairs or service upgrades, etc. and then they have a seriously dangerous set-up if not every circuits is on RCD (TT style) as any non-RCD fault won't clear but will make all metalwork live.

I would quite agree
I would call DNO - but have asked client to make decision (I’ve not yet had any instruction)
I imagine DNO would just provide earthing and not ask too many questions - but didn’t want to cause trouble for client
If my understanding is correct you have visited a property and believe there is an earth fault and didn't actually do any testing to prove it is defective
Then you have passed the decision to contact the DNO to the client because of a missing cut out and left the property
I find your actions quite worrying personally I have no problem calling the DNO in any circumstances where safety is concerned whether the client wants it or not. Having found there is a potentially unsafe situation and having highlighted it to the client what happens if there is a fatality as a result of this issue

If my understanding is correct you have visited a property and believe there is an earth fault and didn't actually do any testing to prove it is defective
Then you have passed the decision to contact the DNO to the client because of a missing cut out and left the property
I find your actions quite worrying personally I have no problem calling the DNO in any circumstances where safety is concerned whether the client wants it or not. Having found there is a potentially unsafe situation and having highlighted it to the client what happens if there is a fatality as a result of this issue
In defence of OP, they may not have had their tools, test equipment etc when they’ve just gone for quick look at a job.

what are they to do? Turn it all off, because they might suspect there’s a problem they can’t actually prove at the time?

Ask customer to contact DNO, or like you, phone them yourself... or go back another day to further investigate.

In defence of OP, they may not have had their tools, test equipment etc when they’ve just gone for quick look at a job.

what are they to do? Turn it all off, because they might suspect there’s a problem they can’t actually prove at the time?

Ask customer to contact DNO, or like you, phone them yourself... or go back another day to further investigate.
Thank you - i didn’t haven’t tools, I was asked for a quote, and noted situation. I said was happy to come back to investigate properly but did not get a response

Maybe it is just me if I go out to quote a job I always take a meter and some basic tools pointless quoting for a job if the installation has faults before you even quote for the job the client wants you to do. Going back another day isn't an option I would consider at most it would be a couple of hours

Had something similar to this a while ago the DNO at sometime had replaced the metal service head with a plastic one and not fitted the earth to the cable sheath it was fortunate at the time the property was empty and had been for a while, supply turned off and DNO informed and DNO on site within 2 hours fixed within 4 hours

Litigation is way to easy these days if there is an injury or a fatality it is well known from past cases the last one in will no doubt carry the can all the way to one of the HM Hotel's especially having made the householder aware of the potential problem what defence do you have. I like to make sure my backside is covered I don't like talking to people in wigs did it once when one threatened me and my apprentice with contempt of court for drilling some holes in a wall on a court building while we were installing some lightning conductors talking to the usher afterwards the judge had indigestion after his lunch and was looking for someone to have a go at

Reply to What do you think happened here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock